What the hell happened to "normal" bicycles?

13»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Dug out a a 1999 MBUK - £800 Mudy Fox Alu Pro has Judy XC, LX parts, V brakes, 28lbs.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    supersonic wrote:
    Dug out a a 1999 MBUK - £800 Mudy Fox Alu Pro has Judy XC, LX parts, V brakes, 28lbs.

Had a leaf through a 1999 cycling weekly, Evans is selling a rigid rockhopper for £299, reduced - a bargain. However the spesh hardrock isn't any more expensive now... and you get a 'suspension fork'.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    And just to argue against my earlier post, if we're looking at "normal" bikes how about the giant escape? Starts at £300. Not bad for a knockabout.

I think our expectations as consumers are a lot higher these days, and people on here- by the nature of this site- will have different expectations again.

Local to me, at eastridge woods some guys had a retro race -90's mtb's. There are a few tasty riders that took part and they were all REALLY struggling on the old cronkers.(and they stayed of the black sections.)
    You could argue that downing a beer at the start MAY have played a part in that :wink:

My daily bike way back when, came from the tip. I painted it blue-industrial floor paint using a brush :roll:
    New saddle and cowhorn bars, man I was proud. Worth about £30. :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Here you go, must be something here that fits the bill?
    http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/c ... &CS_ID=615