Tyre advice - not too slick, but not too knobly

jjsh
jjsh Posts: 142
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Most of the tracks and trails I take my hardtail down are fairly ( ok, extreemly) tame by most mtb'ers standards, and they are also frequently interupted by fairly log stretches of tarmac. They are a mixture of compacted dirt, loose and not so loose stone, compated sand (quite a lot of this) and not so compact, and long grass groing in compacted sand (quite a lot of this as well!). I had been using the bog standard knobbly tyres that came with my Merida, and they cope well, but are a pain on the tarmac. I had purchased a set of Spesh semi slicks - nimbus sport, which I assume are re-badged something or others, when I was using my mtb as a winter trainer on the roads, so I thought I'd fit them and try them on my favorate route last night.

Cut a long story short ~ massive off. Lucky not to be more damaged than I am. They are ace on the tarmac bits, the compacted dirt / sand bits, sh*te on anything loose, and totally deadly on tracks that had foot high course grass ~ you could pedal with little effort, ok, but as soon as you hit a hidden rut , it was like you were on a doomed train heading for the edge of a cliff. They wouldn't climb out of anything.

Now, 98% of that was prob my poor technique, but I think I need something inbetween an mud slinger and a semi slick while I hone my skills. I was thinking along the lines of Continental Race King ~ does that sound sensible ~ i.e. something that will roll better on tarmac, but still have at least a bit of grip on the slippy stuff?

All advice gratefully recieved. :D

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you could have a look for something like

WTB Vulpine SL TCS

small bumps on the centre but knobs on the side which would be more than fine for forest roads and gravel and pretty good rolling on tarmac (its the tyres I use for commuting). You could also consider kenda small block 8s
  • robertzee
    robertzee Posts: 21
    I have had the DMR Moto on my hardtail for years. Good for dry trails etc and very hard wearing. Not brilliant on mud but a good all round cheap, puncture resistant (due to hard tread) tyre. Currently £17.99 at Halfords
    You may be too old to rock but never too old to roll.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I've just fitted a pair of Bontrager XR3 Team Issue 2.2s, which are a good all rounder, and roll well with their medium sized blocks and ramped centre tread pattern. I don't ride on road, but they don't feel draggy when messing about on the bike out in the street. Can't comment on mud grip, only ridden them on bone dry trails so far.

DSC_8918800x532_zps72c672b0.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:
    You could also consider kenda small block 8s
    These
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    I'd go for more volume and lower pressure and forget about the tread.
    Get Schwalbe Big Apples 2.35" (better puncture protection) or Supermotos 2.35" (fastest rolling non-MTB 26"tyres) and run them at 20-30PSI or less.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    as long as its not soaking wet and you don't see too many roots on the trail ( and as a warning - I have locked the front mid stoppie on chicken wire wrapped northshore V-scary.... but the tyre was damp, section was dry )

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24632
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    These

+1 on a small block tyre, you don't need big knobblies if your not encountering a lot of mud and loose surfaces.

But if they are a bit too pricey for your taste try something like the Michelin Country Rocks small block alternatives. Only 500 odd grams and less than a tenner. Roll really fast on the road if you pump up the pressure but are still reasonably comfy over the bumpy stuff.
  • Kowalski675
    I rode my mate's bike on High Roller 2.1s (the 70a XC version) and they were narrow for a 2.1, and rolled well on the tarmac sections.
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll look someof these up.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I rode my mate's bike on High Roller 2.1s (the 70a XC version) and they were narrow for a 2.1, and rolled well on the tarmac sections.
    :lol:
    Compared to what, exactly, a Sherman tank?
  • Kowalski675
    Whatever.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    :lol:
    Compared to what, exactly, a Sherman tank?

lol

I found myself in your same situation today when the wife asked for less knobbly tyres. Ordered a set of Kenda short track from CRC for £30.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=49163

review here http://www.mountainbiketales.com/reviews/kenda.htm
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    POAH wrote:
    I found myself in your same situation today when the wife asked for less knobbly tyres. Ordered a set of Kenda short track from CRC for £30.

I had some tyres with a very similar tread to that many many many years ago, and they were just astounding on wet rock and smooth wet slate. Surprisingly capable tread design.
  • Ouija
    POAH wrote:

I had some tyres with a very similar tread to that many many many years ago, and they were just astounding on wet rock and smooth wet slate. Surprisingly capable tread design.

Not too bad on shallow mud either. The ridges across the top of the tyre act like the paddles on an old paddle steamer river boat, digging into the mud and throwing it backwards. On normal knobbly tyres, mud and water can flow in between the knobs, allowing the tyre to slip a little. Not so much on the Kendas linked above as they have no gaps for the mud/water to flow through so they get trapped against the ridges. Down side is they have no lateral grip (mud/water just slides effortlessly across the tyre from one side to the other) so don't handle cornering well in mud.

Good for riding down reasonably straight canal paths where you remain upright most of the time but might not be so great along anything that requires a lot of dodging or weaving. The ridges also create a constant vibration and make them sound/feel like your riding on flagstones all the time when riding on hard surfaces (unless you've got the pressure set low, which you might not if your looking to get speed on tarmac).

For all round general use, i'd still go for a small block tyre though (the OP doesn't want over knobbly tyres, remember).
  • Jay76
    Jay76 Posts: 58
    I am liking the schwalbe land cruiser's :

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... iser-32121

Fast rolling and I ride 80% forest tracks xc and 20% tarmac
    Never ridden em in the wet as yet..
    Kevlar lined and very cheap too
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    These

Them!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Ouija
    Jay76 wrote:
    I am liking the schwalbe land cruiser's :

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... iser-32121

Fast rolling and I ride 80% forest tracks xc and 20% tarmac
    Never ridden em in the wet as yet..
    Kevlar lined and very cheap too

But very heavy. Since weight at the rim of the wheel as the most profound affect on how easy/hard a bike feels to pedal it's best to keep the weight as low as possible (500gram or below, if possible).
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Wetscreams? :lol: I actually found schwalbe smart sam to roll well on road, but they lacked grip on loose stuff (probably the compound I had).
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.