Rockrider 8.1 - Why are my trigger shifters opposite?

stringsonfire
stringsonfire Posts: 18
edited July 2013 in MTB beginners
I went for a Rockrider 8.1 with X7's all round, but I'm finding this confusing. The right and left shifters function opposite. I thought the top level is always up a gear, and the bottom is always down, as the bigger movement of the bottom lever is required to move the chain physically up to a 'lower' gear? I might have misunderstood. Thanks!

Comments

• johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    If I'm understanding you correctly, this is normal (it's the same on my road and mountain bikes with Shimano shifters) which I assume is because the gears are placed the opposite way - at the front, the smallest chain ring is on the left but on the back the smallest gear is on the right.

John
  • That makes sense. I'm trying to figure out why it was so bad at changing gears - apparently this is not the reason. Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Johnmcl7 wrote:
    If I'm understanding you correctly, this is normal (it's the same on my road and mountain bikes with Shimano shifters) which I assume is because the gears are placed the opposite way - at the front, the smallest chain ring is on the left but on the back the smallest gear is on the right.

John
    I think you assume wrong - pulling cable shifts to a bigger cog, which is a higher gear on the front and a lower one on the back. (Unless it's a rapid rise mech before some smartarse chips in).
    Releasing the ratchet releases cable and the mech spring pulls it back toward the rest position.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    So like a rapid rise front mech - common as? Smartarse.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I went for a Rockrider 8.1 with X7's all round, but I'm finding this confusing. The right and left shifters function opposite. I thought the top level is always up a gear, and the bottom is always down, as the bigger movement of the bottom lever is required to move the chain physically up to a 'lower' gear? I might have misunderstood. Thanks!

You need to think of how the shifting is physically operating. Both on the front and the back, you need to put in effort to push the derailleur and chain up to a bigger (in size) cog, but shifting down is just a matter of releasing the tension.

On the front you ratchet up to get to a bigger gear, on the back you ratchet up to get to a smaller gear.

Bottom is "push up", top is "release down". It can't be any other way :)
  • I went for a Rockrider 8.1 with X7's all round, but I'm finding this confusing. The right and left shifters function opposite. I thought the top level is always up a gear, and the bottom is always down, as the bigger movement of the bottom lever is required to move the chain physically up to a 'lower' gear? I might have misunderstood. Thanks!

You need to think of how the shifting is physically operating. Both on the front and the back, you need to put in effort to push the derailleur and chain up to a bigger (in size) cog, but shifting down is just a matter of releasing the tension.

On the front you ratchet up to get to a bigger gear, on the back you ratchet up to get to a smaller gear.

So front and back are different regarding size/gear number?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Except as 2 people have already pointed out, rapid rise exists, so it can and has been the other way.

If you want to try an RR rear mech bike just to prove to yourself they can actually work I have 2 you can try.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Big button, big cog. Little button, little cog.
    Happy?
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    cooldad wrote:
    Johnmcl7 wrote:

John
    I think you assume wrong - pulling cable shifts to a bigger cog, which is a higher gear on the front and a lower one on the back. (Unless it's a rapid rise mech before some smartarse chips in).
    Releasing the ratchet releases cable and the mech spring pulls it back toward the rest position.

I'm not sure why you're saying I assume wrong given several posts have agreed with mine since then unless you're misreading my post.

John
  • cooldad
    Because it has nothing whatsoever to do with right or left. That is co-incidental.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools