Upgrade for Marz MX Comp

Mrtennis
Mrtennis Posts: 153
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've currently got the MX comps (I believe 2003 model, may be newer) on my bike but would like something lighter and that works just as well. They only cost me £40 from my brother's mate, but I am willing to go up to £100 on some second hand forks if people think they will be a big improvement. They seem like a great fork, just let down by their weight.
Look forward to your suggestions :)

Comments

• Mrtennis
    Any suggestions :)?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What have you found? Or are you looking for someone to trawl Ebay for you?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just get them serviced. With your budget you will not get better.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree with the above, this is a good fork, and you will not surpass them for that money.
  • Mrtennis
    cooldad wrote:
    the road forum is much more pleasant than SOME of the muppets in this section....
  • Mrtennis
    Thanks Nick and Super...when my bros mate let me have them for £40 I wasn't too sure if it was a great deal or not. If £100 upgrade won't get me much better then sounds like it was. How much do you think I might have to pay for some secomd hand ones for lower weight than the mx's?
  • cooldad
    Mrtennis wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    the road forum is much more pleasant than SOME of the muppets in this section....
    Yeah some of the muppets are annoying but fortunately Yeehaa doesn't post that often anymore.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Mrtennis
    cooldad wrote:
    Mrtennis wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Yeah some of the muppets are annoying but fortunately Yeehaa doesn't post that often anymore.
    I'm probably being harsh on everyone else in here. I can't remember who it was before who seemed to permanently have a stick up their backside but I'm guessing it was you. Probably don't have a clue what you're doing when you're riding and you fell off one day and got a branched lodged right up there and it just wont come out
  • cooldad
    I love you too.
    But perhaps we should keep our love life to more appropriate fora.

Ps you could check who was nasty to you by looking in your history. I can assure you it wasn't me. Something about brakes?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Mrtennis
    cooldad wrote:
    I love you too.
    But perhaps we should keep our love life to more appropriate fora.

Ps you could check who was nasty to you by looking in your history. I can assure you it wasn't me. Something about brakes?
    Haha just had a check and fair enough, wasn't you, some chunkers guy who was winding me up last time I was on this section. As for asking people on advice on an upgrade, anyone can go out and search for anything, but that's what forums are for, to ask people with my knowledge for advice, which is why I posted this thread. So I still think it was a little harsh for your original reply but never mind. If I hadn't got you mixed up with chunkers I wouldn't have replied so harshly myself. Anyways, never mind, it's all forgetten at my end, no bad feelings...
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    Whilst they're stripped down you might want to extend the travel to 115mm. See this link:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... i-mx-comps
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • Mrtennis
    So I've tried a bit of research this morning on what lightweight forks are available, and not at a killer price. I've come across the Rockshox Reba (which I'm sure you will all know). Seems like with this I could save 3-400g on my current mx comps. So the weight might be improved but will there be a lower performance?
    I know Matzocchi are good forks but I suppose I'm just a bit clueless as to where the mx comps sit exactly. Are they a low end or high end fork?
    Also for the reba's, seems like Rockshox is well known for it's ridiculous amount of various models. As far as I can tell the SL was the low end, original Reba. How would this compare to the mx comp? Also seems that the Race and Team versions seem to be heavier than RL, RLT, and maybe even SL, is that right?
    For around £100 it looks like I should be able to get hold of a Reba, so if I was to go for it, is there any version I should try and avoid or any which I should really look out for?
  • nicklouse
    but that will not be a new reba it will still need a service. agai on the RS forks what you et depends on the year.

the MX was the range to have. the comp the lower of the three but still has more adjustability than some reba SLs

again it depends on which one. they have been around since 2004 and there were some poor OE spec rebas that were actually Recon internal.

I would still get the MX serviced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Mrtennis
    nicklouse wrote:
    but that will not be a new reba it will still need a service. agai on the RS forks what you et depends on the year.

the MX was the range to have. the comp the lower of the three but still has more adjustability than some reba SLs

again it depends on which one. they have been around since 2004 and there were some poor OE spec rebas that were actually Recon internal.

I would still get the MX serviced.
    Thanks Nick. This is really surprising. I've just done a bit of research on my fork and it's the 2003 ETA model. The user reviews for it are just outstanding! I'm very surprised. Not least because as far as I can see it was only about £180 when new!
    I would have thought that a fork that can be up to £300 pounds in the Reba then it had to be better. Seems like the weight of my comp is just under 2kg, with the reba being about 1.6kg.
    As you say with the Reba, it depends on the year. Any year you would say I should try and avoid if I was to look around? Or just try and avoid old ones in general? If so, how old?
    With mine being an 03 model I just though that there must be better things around now.
    The Reba's that are going for between £100 and £150 (sometimes a little lower or higher) do quite often seem to be maybe 08 onwards. Would that not be an upgrade?
  • supersonic
    The MX is a good fork - any Reba is better though. Lighter, stiffer and more damping adjustability. It would be an upgrade in my eyes, even the SL.
  • Mrtennis
    UPDATE: What looked to be a reba team 08 just sold on ebay for £120. If that was the right model though, having read user reviews it looked like people had a lot of problems with it. I think it got 2.79/5, whereas the mx was closer to 5/5!
  • supersonic
    It did 10 years ago ;-). Review it today against the Reba and the latter would win every time.

Rebas are dead easy to service too.
  • Mrtennis
    supersonic wrote:
    It did 10 years ago ;-). Review it today against the Reba and the latter would win every time.

This was my feeling, I thought technology must have moved on. Nick doesn't seem to feel the same way though :?
  • nicklouse
    Mrtennis wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

This was my feeling, I thought technology must have moved on. Nick doesn't seem to feel the same way though :?
    again it depends on the reba and year, like i said they have been arond for almost as long at the MX.

the ETA is a function that is you like you will not find on any RS fork.

and as Sonic mentions how easy the Rebas is to service well the MX is just as easy.

again with your stated budget i would just get them serviced.