London Edinburgh London 1400km audax this weekend

2»

Comments

• marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Congratulations to all who completed, attempted and volunteered. I have really enjoyed keeping an eye on people's progress. I'm hoping there will be a blog once you have caught up on your sleep, Marcus?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I am working on it!

I've got back home to the stresses of moving house next week - so knee deep in boxes etc. now, not ideal for writing a blog, but I need to do it before too many memories fade. Things get very blurry and mixed up when you are thinking abut what happened on the 4 days of the ride etc.

I hope to not write yet another 'I rode my bike, ate some beans, rode my bike, ate some pasta' report. If I can do something similar to my PBP report (which went on to be published in the PBP finishers magazine etc.) then I will be chuffed.

The rough outline is there.

It was a superb event, much, much better than I thought it was going to be with a great atmosphere helped by the hundreds of overseas visitors. The volunteers (like vorsprung and mr bunbury) above made the event so special with their dedication to looking after us. It is a hard ride, much harder than PBP I think. The weather was also quite challenging at times, though nothing a well-equipped rider couldn't handle.

The route was amazing and took me to new parts of the uk and highlighted the extreme diversity of our countryside across the uk. We saw some amazing views and sights along the way and I hope that overseas visitors enjoyed our countries. I hope that many uk riders saw new bits of the uk that hey want to return to. I know I would like to go back to the howardian hills amongst other areas.

Overall, the organisers, volunteers, and the riders (to a lesser degree) have done Audax very proud and delivered a world-class event (this is the second largest long (1000km+) ride in the world I believe). Many elements were far better than PBP. 2017 is a long way away, but I know I will be involved somehow. I currently plan to volunteer my time and help out as I would love to put back something.

Brilliant, brilliant stuff.
  • marylogic
    I'll look forward to it when you have time.
  • Great summary marcus.
  • marcusjb
    I'll try and get the journey home written up before I forget it all!

Even 5 days after I finished, I am still buzzing with excitement, this really was a superb ride that I enjoyed way more than I thought I might.
  • marylogic
    Cheers, I enjoyed that. Except for the link to the photo which made me feel slightly sick :shock:
  • marcusjb
    There are some worse photos floating around YACF - the damage 1400km can do to someone's behind is really quite shocking (luckily mine is still in good nick, one small sore due to the awful weather).
  • dakkar
    dakkar Posts: 64
    Great report Marcus and fantastic achievement. :P
  • marcusjb
    And finally - the journey south:

http://marcusjb.wordpress.com/2013/08/1 ... outhbound/

I will write up some more about my thoughts on finishing the ride. This was a superb ride and does Audaxing in the UK very proud.

This is a considerably harder challenge than PBP was, despite being massively fitter than I was in 2011.

I did very much enjoy it though. We live on a very beautiful island - it's easy to forget sometimes.
  • dakkar
    dakkar Posts: 64
    Thank you Marcus, fantastic achievement, very inspiring and a fab read.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done Marcus,great ride and great write up.Thanks for sharing.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori