Cramp in my bum

lizcurry
lizcurry Posts: 2
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
now you have stopped laughing :oops: Let me explain - I have recently got back into cycling after a long long time and splashed out on a new bike. Everything is going good apart from the cramps in my bum.

I get them every time and they are getting worse the better I seem to get with the cycling.

Anyone got any ideas what I can try please as its starting to ruin the whole experience.

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Lots of stretches before and after rides? Glutes, hamstring and quads

Or massage :wink:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    Can dehydration not cause cramp?
  • awginger
    awginger Posts: 23
    To be able to comment properly we're going to need pics..... lol

I agree with the dehydration comment though. Try a drink with a small amount of salt added?
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    seat height too low? and the above?.

How many many miles are you doing and whats your experience? May need more time in the saddle perhaps
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I would guess that this is more to do with the activation of muscle groups that you are not using in every day life. As mentioned above the gluteals, hip flexors and hamstrings are all made weak by sedentary lifestyle and these may now be coming under strain while cycling.

two suggestions from me
    1. Make sure your bike is well set up for you in terms of saddle height, fore/aft position. A full blown retul bike fit may not be required at this stage but a lot of shops will do a more basic assessment

2. Build in a post ride and rest day routine of stretches and exercises that will activate those key muscle groups. There are loads on the net. The other element is targeting some tight spots with either massage, trigger point therapy (a hockey ball is good for the glutes) and foam rollering.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    google pretzel stretch - worked for me at the beginning