British Summer

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited July 2013 in Road general
Hi,

So was anyone out enjoying the PROPER British summer weather this morning. Thunderstorms and torrential rain for my ride this morning - well the first half of it anyway. To be fair, I sweat a lot, and so I didn't get much wetter than I have been whilst cycling in the sun these last few weeks, but the roads were full of all sorts of debris from the running rainwater. Managed to flick a stone (boulder) up which smacked me right on the shin, so I've got a nice bruise from that.

Only had a road bike a couple of months, so I've been lucky up to now with the weather with only a slightly damp ride before this morning. Nice to get a wet ride under my belt!!
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    how much do you sweat?! If the weather was anything like here you'd lose about 100 gallons every ride!!

there is no way i'm moaning about the weather, we have had the best few weeks i can remember so i'll take one rainy day! and it was still 20 degrees so the rain was actually pretty nice in a weird sort of way!

you just wait for winter :)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Chris Bass wrote:

Cant wait for the roads to be empty again! :wink:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Schoie81
    Chris - I sweat a lot!! My biology teacher many moons ago told me its due to a high metabolism, but i'm not sure. A beer belly thats reluctant to be 'cycled' away probably doesn't help - isn't fat a good insulator? Anyway, I was perhaps exagerating a little; I was drenched from head to toe this morning. But yes, it was warm still so I did enjoy it. I've been cycling on a MTB for a couple of years, so i'm used to riding in the cold and wet and winters don't stop me getting out there, but on that bike I'm not bothered by gravel, leaves and all of other hazards that were washed out on to the roads this morning, whereas on the road bike it was a bit different!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    goonz wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Cant wait for the roads to be empty again! :wink:

yeah, the bike store at work has been jam packed for the past few weeks, just me and one other in there today!! but its actually really nice again here now so that'll teach them!

scholes81 - i was only messing! i'm a pretty sweaty fella too! road bikes in the rain are fine aside from one small detail - they tend not to want to stop!! i'd brake a lot sooner than you think you need to!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • WarlKicken
    WarlKicken Posts: 224
    Stunning weather the last few days. I concur with the fact the rain was actually a bizarre mix of annoyance and pleasure. Annoyance in the form of my new Pinarello Uno getting mucky...boohoo. Ha! What a delicious slice of cooling it was though, how the bggering bll bags is it still 20degrees though?! ITS MADNESS I TELLSYA!!

Oh Winter, how I love and loathe thou. Nothing like getting 10minutes into the commute, pulling on the brakes only to think your finger has frost bite. I spent the best part of the red light biting at my thumb in a bid to circulation back, as well as flinging my arms like a newly born bird trying anything to get felling in my thumb. No matter how hard I bit down, I couldn't feel a thing....I then realised it was because my glove had frozen solid.

Joy.
  • Schoie81
    Chris Bass wrote:
    scholes81 - i was only messing! i'm a pretty sweaty fella too! road bikes in the rain are fine aside from one small detail - they tend not to want to stop!! i'd brake a lot sooner than you think you need to!

Ha ha, my username is Schoie, not Scholes, but i'm happy with being mistaken for the 'ginger wizzard' anyday!! :wink: I've no need to worry about braking issues, i'm a very cautious descender - not least as i'm still getting used to the difference between road bike brakes, and the hydraulic disc brakes on my mountain bike. I was concerned about riding through piles of leaves, gravel etc.. and a) losing grip and b) picking up a puncture. And of course avoiding puddles in case its not just a patch of standing water, but a deep pot hole full to the brim....

I do get pleasure from riding the rain though, most of the time. There have been times I could have been heard shouting and cursing when there's noone anywhere near me! Usually when it starts chucking it down when i'm a few minutes from home and i'd stayed dry for the whole ride....