Help with Avid BB5 mounts needed 140-160mm

mcj78
mcj78 Posts: 634
edited July 2013 in The workshop
Hi all, i'm upgrading the rear disc on my Charge Filter from 140mm to 160mm for a bit more power through the standard Avid BB5 brake & i'm mildly confused given the choice of disc mounts avaliable re. CPS/non-CPS spec...

The frame has IS mounts, so i'm looking for an IS rear 140-160 CPS mount right? Am I also right in assuming the CPS & non-CPS mounts are completely different & non-interchangeable given the differences in caliper configuration to deal with the change in stack height the CPS hardware gives? :?

Cheers!
J
Moda Issimo
Genesis Volare 853
Charge Filter Apex

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cps is the washers that avid use. any adaptor can work.

your current front adaptor can be used on the rear for a 160mm dics (if the fork is also IS mount) (as can the disc) so all you need a 180mm disc (or 185)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mcj78
    Ok - so I can use either CPS or standard 140mm-160mm mounts then? I got confused slightly as i've seen both listed separately & wondered if I had to use the "CPS" designated mounts with the BB5s for clearance reasons or summat

I'm actually pretty happy with the front 160mm rotor so i'll leave that for now - in comparison the rear defo seems a bit underpowered, noticed Charge have changed the rotors to 160mm f&r this year, maybe they noticed too!

Cheers!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the CPS washers are regarded as part of the caliper. no idea about these " "CPS" designated mounts " as there is no difference (unless they come with the CPS washers) or the brakes would not fit or work on the standard post mounts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mcj78
    Yeah I know what you mean - for some reason they're listed separately on CRC website as though they're two different products & a quick web search seemed to throw up more questions than answers (due to people fannying around with the washers for clearance apparently...), I was worries the mount might be a certain shape to accomodate the washers but I suppose the flat face of the washer always has to rest against the mount (whatever variation it is) so that discounts that theory!

Cheers,
    j
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex