Superstar Tesla Wheels

2»

Comments

• j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    barikhan wrote:
    So finally been on first ride, just a ride down the coast, nothing taxing. The hub jerked slightly about 4-5 times in total... just slightly though, nothing major, but enough to let you know it is there!

Trail centre tomorrow, see how it goes there.

on that basis I wouldn't trust them, my cheap Deore unit doesn't give any issues and its done 100's of miles, if the free hub is new then it should operate perfectly, no??

:?:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • My Tesla hubs have been ok and they have had some hard riding, the pacenti rim on the other hand hasn't faired as well.
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • barikhan
    barikhan Posts: 22
    I really hate to revive this thread, but its happened again... second one failed. I do see that Superstar are introducing a new Tesla hub though. Extract from the email:

"
    Thank you for replacing my rear wheel at the end of July 2013. Unfortunately, the warranty replaced rear wheel has been causing issues and is imminent to complete failure in nine and a half months of moderate riding. The previous rear wheel had the same amount of riding albeit with a three month break in-between.

I have had very poor shifting issues. My local bike shop inspection found the rear wheel drive side axle drop out adapter to be bent. I stripped down the wheel to find that the adapter had been cross threaded, see Images 1 and 2. Also, the inspection revealed considerable damage, worse in condition than the original hub failure, to the freehub housing. Deep gouges have been cut into the inner periphery, no doubt causing damage to the hub teeth, see Images 3 and 4. This confirms my recent experience of intermittent slight slipping from the hub during power strokes but as of yet not complete failure. Image 5 shows the freehub teeth condition.

Once again, I have had no issues with the bearings themselves and no harsh cleaners, chemicals or jets of water have ever been used in the cleaning of the wheels (or any other components on my bike).

This entire fiasco is wasting considerable amount of my time, money and resources. Mechanical issues with mountain bikes, especially trail bikes are expected but not on warranty replaced parts. The failure of this hub is also effecting my riding schedule. The last wheel took two weeks to return. In that time there was little to no communication from yourselves. Any communication that I did have was after spending multiple hours engaged on the telephone and the calls being sent to an answering machine.

... ...I have also recommended yourselves to multiple friends. However this hub and therefore wheelset is completely and wholly not fit for purpose. I do not want another warranty replacement like for like or otherwise, as I have lost all confidence with your hubs.... ... .
    "

Pics:
    Axle 1
    Axle 2
    Hub 1
    Hub 2
    Teeth 1

I carefully got apart the axle and took a fine thread file to chase the threads... got that back together. Just waiting for Superstar to get back to me and then ship them off.
  • oldfool
    oldfool Posts: 1
    Did you get anywhere with this ? My Tesla rear has just failed again after about half a year's riding. No drive this time, it was no freewheeling the first. Noticed when I took it apart that the non driveside bearing had disintegrated, with the inner race jammed pretty solid on the axle. Other than that the freehub and housing looked almost exactly like yours but in a totally uncool black colour.
    Edit: Also found that a spacer washer which should be between the freehub and the housing was actually fitted on the outside of the freehub just below the dustcap. Surprised it worked at all !