Noise cancelling headphones

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Earlier this year I contrived to leave my in-ear 'phones on a plane. I have 4 flights coming up in the next few months and would like to replace them. However, I don't really want another pair of in-ear ones:
1: Because they could get a little uncomfy after a few hours
2: Because with a baby knocking about I'd like something that allows me to deactivate noise cancelling - no good to be listening to music at home when I'm on baby duty if I can't hear him cry (although I'm sure many will disagree). Only way to do this with the in-ears was to take one of them out.

Does anyone have any recommendations? My preferences are:

1: Sound quality is more important than noise cancelling effectiveness
2: Both Active and Passive options
3: USB charging ability would be nice
4: Portable
5: iPad/Phone compatible - so volume, skip and mic on the cable
6: No proprietary nonsense
7: Nothing in the ridiculous 'Beats' range

Cheers!

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    First noise cancelling circuits themselves are not going to stop a screaming baby, they are more for hiss and rumble. What would get rid of screaming baby noise is top set of closed cup headphones (with orwithout noise cancelling) + turning it up. Second point the noise cancelling ciruits work by inverting phase then inverting back again so with the circuit off the phasing is wrong and they can sound rubbish.

I have a pair of these, they do not block out everything but quality is excellent http://www.whathifi.com/review/sennheis ... cancelling) had them 5 years now had to replace the ear cups earlier this year for less than £10. However home use is pair of non noise cancelling closed cup technics which do sound much better but need a good amp to drive them.

I also run with one of these since getting a galaxy s3 as the s3 output was rubbish if not used with in ear phones http://www.whathifi.com/review/sennheis ... cancelling)
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • I have a set of sure e3 in ear phones and often leave them in with nothing playing ona flight to block noise
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,592
    http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

This is an excellent guide to buying headphones.

What I would say re active noise cancelling headphones is that they're the worst of all worlds bar noise cancelling where it's only marginally better.

They need a real seal around the ear so therefore are very big and bulky. In my experience with proper over ear cans is that they are just as uncomfortable after 3-4 hrs as in-ear-buds. You get a few on-ear headphones now, but I wonder what the point is at that point, since you'll still get bleeding.

They usually require a separate battery source to power the microphone and the noise cancelling aspect, and often won't work without that - so if you phones run out of battery you're screwed.

That all adds weight and impracticality - and in my experience a well fitted in-ear-bud get's 90% there, but will offer you far superior sound quality for the same price.

I'm a bit of a nerd about this. Ended up going for the bower & wilkins C5.

C5_features_gallery_fullscreen_3.jpg

Excellent quality. Not hyper precise, near enough, but it warms it up a bit and keeps it lively which i prefer - I'm not in a studio.
    The fit is excellent, it's weighted towards the ear (unusual), and the loop you can see fixes it into your ear for a very secure fit.

Everyone's got different taste in what they like everything to sound like, so give it some effort. After all, it's the filter through which you ear all your music.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have some sony flat type noise canceling and they lasted me really well until the foam pads fell apart (after 6 years).
    NC only works on consistent noise, in fact when sat in a car with them on (no music playing) I could then really clear the music coming from one of the other occupants in-ear buds.
    Great for flights were the bulk of the noise is the engine rumble and the 'whoosh' from airflow over the skin.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • il_principe
    I really don't want in ear ones again. I had some very expensive Shure ones. Like I said, they got uncomforatble after a while and they basically blocked out too much sound (if that makes sense). Walking around with them on was very disconcerting.

I came across the http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/headphones/M4U-2-Headphones during my Googling. Seem to be very well reviewed and crucially the passive mode is supposed to be good. Any one experienced these?
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    You get a few on-ear headphones now, but I wonder what the point is at that point, since you'll still get bleeding.

Only if you turn the music up really, really loud.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If feeling flush, the gadget show (and seemingly lots of other people) rated the Parrot Zik wireless headphones..

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H9557 ... -by-starck
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have some Bose (I know some audiophiles hate them) quiet comfort 3's and use them on trains and planes and they work great for me and sound fine to my ears, you can get different leads too with phone/tablet controls
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I use these guys - http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/

If you can make it down to Lancing they can usually set up demos of your shortlist for you.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I used to have expensive shure in-ears too. Agree - sound good but can be uncomfortable and its a mission to take them out when you want to hear someone.
    I now have these
    http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Headpho ... plore.html
    Foldable on-ear design with ipod/ipad control cable. Not noise cancelling but sound good. I dont find the noise on aeroplanes intrudes on them.
    Pretty good
  • il_principe
    I plumped for a pair of PSB M4U 2's in the end. They arrived yesterday, and so far I'm very impressed. They have both active, passive and NC modes, and sound fantastic with the NC turned off. In fact with NC off they're some of the best headphones I've ever used. Ran them through my Rotel Amp at home last night and was pleasantly surprised.

The NC itself seems pretty good. Not as good as the Bose ones I tried, but the sound quality is miles better, they are closed cup as well. They also seem well built, but time will tell. Fold up neatly too.

My only gripe is that whilst they are iPhone compatible in regards to having a mic, track skip etc, there is no volume control function on the cable. A minor irritant I suppose, but an oversight.

6j3HFQD.jpg
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Try them on your phone before judging.
    Last time I tried getting quality earphones for work I failed miserably.
    I got a set of Grados which I found out not only need an amp to drive them properly but anyone in a 10 feet radius can hear the music almost as clear as me. :oops:
    A major disappointment at work but supremely happy when plugged into the HiFi at home. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • il_principe
    daviesee wrote:
    Try them on your phone before judging.
    Last time I tried getting quality earphones for work I failed miserably.
    I got a set of Grados which I found out not only need an amp to drive them properly but anyone in a 10 feet radius can hear the music almost as clear as me. :oops:
    A major disappointment at work but supremely happy when plugged into the HiFi at home. :P

I'm sat using them through my phone at the mo. No probs at all, although most of my music is in 'lossless' format which helps I guess.
  • daviesee
    I'm sat using them through my phone at the mo. No probs at all, although most of my music is in 'lossless' format which helps I guess.
    I was addressing the power output of the phone v amp. Glad you got a result! :P
  • sketchley
    daviesee wrote:

Galaxy s3 by any chance? Try a FiiO in line amp....
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    I plumped for a pair of PSB M4U 2's in the end. They arrived yesterday, and so far I'm very impressed. They have both active, passive and NC modes, and sound fantastic with the NC turned off. In fact with NC off they're some of the best headphones I've ever used. Ran them through my Rotel Amp at home last night and was pleasantly surprised.

The NC itself seems pretty good. Not as good as the Bose ones I tried, but the sound quality is miles better, they are closed cup as well. They also seem well built, but time will tell. Fold up neatly too.

My only gripe is that whilst they are iPhone compatible in regards to having a mic, track skip etc, there is no volume control function on the cable. A minor irritant I suppose, but an oversight.

6j3HFQD.jpg

So would you recommend? Upgrade is an option....
    --
    Chris

• daviesee
    edited August 2013
    Sketchley wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Galaxy s3 by any chance? Try a FiiO in line amp....
    Nope.
    iPhone. The Grados are good but need a bit of power pushing them.
    As they are open back, they are not suitable for office use. :oops: Great for at home plugged into the amp though. :P
    Using a set of Sennheiser (HD200 maybe? Edit - PX 200) in the office which work well. :P
    But we digress...... :wink:
  • il_principe
    Sketchley wrote:

6j3HFQD.jpg

Too early. Only had them a few days. Am flying next week so we'll see what they are like to travel with. They are a little on the heavy side. Worked from home yesterday and used them for a few hours on the trot. Still impressed with the sound - was playing lossless via my Macbook.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Just leave them overnight with normal volume music on, I find all ear/headphones sound better with a few hours put through them.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    are lossless a good band?

yes i know its a file format
  • sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:

Too early. Only had them a few days. Am flying next week so we'll see what they are like to travel with. They are a little on the heavy side. Worked from home yesterday and used them for a few hours on the trot. Still impressed with the sound - was playing lossless via my Macbook.

How about now?
    --
    Chris

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    He can't hear you...
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I use ASUS RoG Vulcan ANC headphones to block out he wife and kids while gaming. They work so well she's able to sneak up behind me and unplug them. TBH I don't use the ANC too much, it works well enough to drown out background noise but kind of deadens the sound.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.