Whipstakes Summer Series - XC racing in Kent

bigdawg
bigdawg Posts: 672
edited August 2013 in XC and Enduro
I hope the organisers don't mind me posting this, but....

Guys whats going on ?? - across the water (in Essex!) Mud Sweat & Gears is going from strength to strength, even guys coming over from kent to race in the series, but are there no XC racers in kent any more?? The courses are fantastic, something to test everyone (in my opinion better than a couple of the MS&G courses this year) and even a new format of racing at a couple of rounds.

If you want to race hard, bumble around with your mates to see who's fastest this is it grass roots mtbing, come along and have fun...

http://www.wssmtb.co.uk/
dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sure they did a Southern XC at Whipstakes farm years ago, sounds familiar!
  • bigdawg
    I stopped racing at the original whipstakes I think around 98/99, I know it carried on for a couple more years

The people organising the new series are the same people doing it back in the 90s but we're all just a bit confused as not a lot of people are attending. I know its 13 or so years down the line but there used to literally be hundreds. I would have thought being the only race series in kent it would be well attended, esp when you see the numbers that turn up at MS&gs - theres obviously a lot of people who want to race, maybe they just don't know its there at the moment..?!

• njee20
    It's just quite a long way! There aren't that many people in Kent, and it's a pretty long way from anywhere else.
  • bigdawg
    Im not aiming it all at you njee - its a fair way for me too (about 3 hours travelling in total) the previous round at cyclopark (which is very impressive in its own right by the way) is literally 5 minutes off the tunnel / bridge, and wrinstead is 20 minutes down the M2 or M20

as I said more confused as to why people will travel nearly 150 miles for MS&Gs races but maybe not something a but nearer to home.

• njee20
    No I meant it's a fair way from everyone! But when you put it like that I guess it is a bit odd. Self perpetuating I guess, small fields, so people don't go, because the fields are small.

Are the BC ranked? It's a draw of the MSGs for some.
  • bigdawg
    no theyre not, but I don't think that'd stop people going, one of the largest fields at MS&Gs is the open or fun category - points don't apply there do they?

Maybe its just a case of people not knowing about it in general...?!

• Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    The last round, this Sunday 25/8, is BC ranked.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • bigdawg
    I was just coming over to say that too...

Weather forecast is perfect for xc racing too, gonna be a great day... :D

• Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I did some of their races in the 90s (badly!) and am hoping to see a few familiar faces - used to ride with the Cyclepathix club out of Maidstone.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike