Tyre Pressures

dee4life2005
dee4life2005 Posts: 773
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I have a mate that is fairly new to cycling and he's taken to setting his tyre pressures really high. He's running Shimano RS10's with Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tyres (23mm) on his road bike. These tyres state a min. pressure of 86psi and max of 116psi. A few rides ago he was telling me how he had 130psi in both the front and back :roll:

Last night however, as he overtook me going down a hill, he stated that he was going faster because he had managed to put 152psi into them. And that's front and back!! (it had nothing at all to do with the fact he's nearly 3 stone heavier :wink: )

I've tried to tell him that exceeding the manufacturers max pressure isn't a good idea, and is a serious accident waiting to happen, but he just wont listen and keeps telling me how that's only a guide. Am I correct in this assumption? As I'm sure this is a Darwin award in the making.

btw. he's 14.5 stone so not exactly excessively heavy (I was running 95 front and 105 rear when I was that weight a year ago without any issues).

Comments