Padded shorts

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Do they take some getting used to? A 'bedding' in period?

I started road cycling about 6 weeks ago and i've just been wearing normal shorts. I've never had a problem with 'saddle sore' or any saddle related pain, albeit i've not cycled more than 22miles yet in a single ride. Someone very kindly bought me some padded shorts and I wore them for the first time last night (and again this morning). I was expecting to feel like I was riding around sat on an armchair, in the height of luxury. But I ended up with my bottom aching by the time I got to the end of the ride, something that i've never had before.

Will I get used to it over time? Otherwise, I can't really see the benefit?
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Do they take some getting used to? A 'bedding' in period?

I started road cycling about 6 weeks ago and i've just been wearing normal shorts. I've never had a problem with 'saddle sore' or any saddle related pain, albeit i've not cycled more than 22miles yet in a single ride. Someone very kindly bought me some padded shorts and I wore them for the first time last night (and again this morning). I was expecting to feel like I was riding around sat on an armchair, in the height of luxury. But I ended up with my bottom aching by the time I got to the end of the ride, something that i've never had before.

Will I get used to it over time? Otherwise, I can't really see the benefit?
    No not normally. What is the make of shorts, there are some very cheap "padded" shorts out there that are nothing more than a bit of foam stitched into some cheap lycra. Decent shorts have a sculpted and moulded "pad" rather than a bit of foam.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Not only that - did you wear anything underneath them?

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Schoie81
    Gizmodo - they're Muddyfox shorts. I guess they're at the lower end of the spectrum but I wouldn't say they're particularly 'cheap' (the 'giver' of them left the price tag on them...), I've looked them up online and they get very positive reviews....?
    cattytown wrote:

A very personal question....! :wink: Yes I did. Are you saying I shouldn't have done? I've seen before that it should be a 'commando' situation, but I've not quite got my head around that as yet.... :?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Schoie81 wrote:
    cattytown wrote:
    A very personal question....! :wink: Yes I did. Are you saying I shouldn't have done? I've seen before that it should be a 'commando' situation, but I've not quite got my head around that as yet.... :?
    The problem with wearing anything between the pad and your skin is the possibility of seams and creased material to rub and chafe the skin. Cycling shorts are specifically designed to have very few (or no) seams, raised stitching or anything that can rub and cause sores. If you then go and add another layer you're negating the design.

The combination of a very repetitive motion, 80 revolutions per minute, for even a couple of hours, if anything is "rubbing" + sweat = saddle sores.

Everyone is different, ride how you are comfortable. There's been debates on here where some will not wear padded shorts because they don't feel they need to and where people refuse to go "commando" - personal choice, personal comfort.

Most sore rear problems are caused by the bike fit.
  • cattytown
    Also cycle shorts are often better at wicking the sweat away from delicate areas.

It seems odd at first, but commando really is better.

Also was there anything else about the ride with the cycle shorts? Did you go further?

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Schoie81
    Yeah, i've had the soreness from something not being quite right in the past and getting creased. Will have to give the 'commando' a go before dismissing it as an option.

I guess the padding could mean I need to adjust the saddle slightly - so it might not be directly related to the shorts. I had a similar problem when someone bought me a gel seat cover for my MTB last year (in fact, it was the same person...she must have a thing about comfy bottoms!!), caused me some grief until I realised I needed to lower the saddle slightly to compensate for the thickness of the gel cover. With that in mind, I did lower my saddle before the ride yesterday (only a few mm) so maybe I need to do a bit more 'tinkering'. I did occasionaly feel like i needed to shuffle back on the saddle last night, which I've not done before, so maybe it needs moving forward slightly.

Cattytown - no, last night and this morning were both routes i've never cycled before (well, part of them anyway) but no increase in distance (only 13miles last night and 15 this morning). The only difference was I managed to get up a hill that has always beaten me before :D but what I guess could have been a factor, I cycled down a road i've never been down before which was really really rough - not potholes, but just really rough tarmac - i did think at the time that I wouldn't be making it a road I use frequently...
  • pidy
    pidy Posts: 24
    I use the Muddy Fox shorts and have found them a god send. i did learn my lesson though and wore underwear the first ride and came back with a sore nether regions. i then had the advise of not to wear anything underneith and what a difference. comfortable and no soreness, i wouldnt reccomend ride for more than and hour or two in the shorts as you do get what you pay for. but im happy with my Muddy Fox shorts and cycle about 25 miles comfortably with them.
  • cattytown
    So the pummelling from the road may have been a factor as well. I'd give the shorts another try and aim for better roads :-)

Once your weight is on the shorts, the padding shouldn't make much difference, and you have already dropped the saddle a nudge.

Also remember to wash them after every ride.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Schoie81
    Just to be clear - i'm not sore - its not a friction issue. And in all honesty, its not bad by any means, just like slight bruising.

I'll give the shorts chance, and i'll give commando a go. And yes, she very kindly bought me two pairs, so I don't need to wear them more than once between washes... :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hey Schoie, how's the clipping in going?

Dont give up on the shorts. I know you have 2 pairs already but try to get a decent pair of bib shorts at some point.
    Maybe some top end DHB if wiggle have a sale, or ideally Endura FS260 pro.
    They will feel much better than the Muddy Fox. Bib's are so much more comfortable and other than that it's all about the pad ;-)

Not sure how much Muddy Fox ones are but one decent pair is better than two inferior ones IMO.
    As well as going commando and washing after every ride (at recommended temp.) you should wash same day ideally.
    They dry pretty quick so should be good to wear the next day.
  • Schoie81
    Carbonator wrote:

Absolutely brilliantly. Eggbeaters are the best cycling related money i've spent so far (other than the bikes themselves of course... :) ). I'm not going to tempt fate by saying its impossible to fail to unclip with eggbeaters, but I do think its pretty difficult to fall off due to forgetting to clip out. I've had two occasions now where i've either forgotten to unclip, or unclipped one foot and then gone the other way but on both occasions, even once concious thought has gone and wild "i'm falling over here" panic has taken over, i've still been able to unclip and put my foot down before falling over (just!). Last night I did my first instinctive clip-out - I have been unclipping one foot in preparation at junctions where I think i'll need to stop but last night I stayed clipped in because I thought the road was clear, then spotted a car at the last minute. Quite calmly put the brakes on, unclipped and put my foot down. :) Gave myself a little smile of acheivement.

re. the shorts - will keep an eye out on wiggle for some sales and put them on my list for the next time a kind friend wants to buy me something! My next spend is on eggbeaters for my MTB so these shorts will have to do for the time being!!
  • pidy
    pidy Posts: 24
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

re. the shorts - will keep an eye out on wiggle for some sales and put them on my list for the next time a kind friend wants to buy me something! My next spend is on eggbeaters for my MTB so these shorts will have to do for the time being!!

Wiggle are doing some DHD bib shorts at the mo for about £24 in red, black or blue. well worth a look
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would just get the pro version at £52. Twice the cost but probably twice as good.
    You may as well get some that are much better than what you have, rather than just a fair bit better.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:
    No not normally. What is the make of shorts, there are some very cheap "padded" shorts out there that are nothing more than a bit of foam stitched into some cheap lycra. Decent shorts have a sculpted and moulded "pad" rather than a bit of foam.

As opposed to "expensive branded" shorts which in my experience are exactly the same bit of foam stitched into some expensive lycra?

I have DHB, Endura, Altura, Shimano, Dare 2 Be, Polaris, Pearl Izumi, Aldi and Lidl. I can tell NO difference between the lot of em apart from the fact that the cheaper DHB & Aldi are more comfortable than the more expensive Shimano & Endura.

Bottom line - they are all made in China with a cheap bit of foam aka "coolmax pad" and lycra. More expensive brands like Shimano and Pearl Izumi may be better manufactured - however the price you pay is that their sizing is ridiculously out!
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Well, I can tell quite a large difference in comfort between my cheap Aldi shorts and my Endura FS260s. It's never going to make it feel like you're sitting in an armchair, let's be clear about that.

All pads are most definately not the same.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • cattytown
    I can also tell the difference. I was using DHBs and thought they were the mutt's. Then I discovered the Assos outlet and got a pair. I still rated the DHB until I had worn the Assos a couple of times, then was heading out before the Assos were dry and put the DHBs back on. I could tell the difference then...

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:

As opposed to "expensive branded" shorts which in my experience are exactly the same bit of foam stitched into some expensive lycra?

I have DHB, Endura, Altura, Shimano, Dare 2 Be, Polaris, Pearl Izumi, Aldi and Lidl. I can tell NO difference between the lot of em apart from the fact that the cheaper DHB & Aldi are more comfortable than the more expensive Shimano & Endura.

Bottom line - they are all made in China with a cheap bit of foam aka "coolmax pad" and lycra. More expensive brands like Shimano and Pearl Izumi may be better manufactured - however the price you pay is that their sizing is ridiculously out!

Really? My Aldi shorts are a disgrace even compared to my DHB's. Ill fitting, poor stitching, sh*t pad and tend to rub an aweful lot.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:

Really? My Aldi shorts are a disgrace even compared to my DHB's. Ill fitting, poor stitching, sh*t pad and tend to rub an aweful lot.

Yes really - why would I make it up? Granted I tend to wear UNDERSHORTS and my experience of them is much of a muchness. In fact my DHB & Aldi ones are better than my Enduras...

The only difference I can see but not feel from my Shimano & Pearl Izumi shorts and the Dare2Be & Aldi ones is that the stitching is better.

Looking at them now all lined up and waiting to ensconce my bits the ONLY difference I can see is that the Shims and Pearl are better manufactured. Seeing that they have an RRP of 10X the cheaper brands that's only natural, no?

I also own Lacoste & Primark polo shirts. The Lacoste is 8 years old and, apart from holes and shape it is still the same colour as when I was given it. The Primark is in the bin.

The difference being one cost £60 and the other £2 - lol
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I find my dare2B shorts (£20-ish) more comfortable than the Endura ones (£45) which are more comfortable than the Lidl ones (£7).
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Shorts & Bibs (a bit like shoes) are a personal preferance thing. I started off wearing normal shorts with a pair of padded endura shorts underneath, moved to a pair of cheap Tenn Outdoor bibs and have ended up with Endura FS260 bibs (i found bibs a revelation but again i know some people dont get on with them). I did buy a pair of the muddy fox shorts (think they were about £15 but usual sports direct gimic saying the rrp was £35 or similar) but never got on with them as i ended up with bruising, I believe this is due to the fact that the pad compresses too much as it one peice of plasticised foam between 2 layers of lycra rather than a proper pad, absolutely fine on wonderfully smooth roads but on the streets of surrey with a fluctuating road surface it ended up a little painful. Note that the pad is also not breathable at all.

It takes a while to find something you find comfortable but when you do the fact that you dont have to worry about bruising or chafing makes the ride so much more enjoyable.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.