First track ride on its way

dannyharris
dannyharris Posts: 217
edited July 2013 in Track
Can anyone offer any advise or what to expect?
I'm heading for Manchester velodrome soon for a taster session.
Never ridden a single speed bike nor on a track. Have only ridden on my road bike.

Comments

• daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    It's great fun.

Take fluids.

Take cool and warm temp tops. No idea if Manchester is the same but Newport has been thee different temps the three different times I went there - from boiling hot to bloody cold and also somewhere in between.

IMHO You really do get out what you put in with a visit to the track. If you think you can go faster and longer then go for it .. your time slot will be up before you know it.

Have a good one.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • I've never ridden Manchester but my local track seems to insist on legs and arms being covered, so you may want to check in advance. Can get bloomin' hot! Likewise check the pedal/shoe combo they use - my local lets riders use their own pedals on the hire bikes, as long as they're competent with a pedal spanner.

It's worth taking your own allen keys to adjust the saddle, just in case the track only has the one loaner set.

Are you comfy on the drops on your road bike? Obviously there's no hoods on a track bike. Don't forget that you can't stop pedalling (otherwise the bike will give you a "gentle" reminder!!!). Really there's nothing to it, but it looks daunting at first. Most first-timers have problems clipping-in as they set off, cuz obviously the cranks are always turning, unless you're comfortable doing it whilst holding on to something. And keep your head on a swivel - don't move up the track without looking.