Slack or too slack?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
So.

I will be purchasing a works headset on payday but I can't decide what degree to go for.

Current head angle is 65.7 degrees.
I was running offset shock bushings but had issues with wear so took them out. Not sure what angle they gave, but the claim was 1.5 deg and it was brilliant!

I have an option of going either 1.5 deg or 2 deg slacker.

The bike is pretty much used for DH only at the mo, If I do ride it up, its to get to the top and nothing else (I'd most probably be pushing to be honest!!

Now 63.7deg sounds slack... very slack. Would I be looking at BB height issues going this "extreme"?

I've been looking at other DH bikes and it really does vary.
The V10 is 54-54deg depending on what travel you run it at, but the Summum is 63deg with the ability to go to 61deg!!

I know the UK DH doesn't really need super slack angles, but it felt goooood! :lol:

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My Scalp has a 63 degree head angle. It's extremely stable BUT it is a bit of a tank through tight turns and only works with full on commitment. You have to throw it in to turns. Unless you are racing I wouldn't go that slack.
    Even last years Giant Glory only had a 65 degree head angle
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    No offence but the scalp is built like a tank and probably weighs the same, so that may have something to do with it :wink:

As I said yesterday, the Mojo is at 66.5 atm with my works headset and for Xc/Am stuff its spot on. On something like the canyon, somewhere around 63/64 would be spot on I reckon, 63.7 is close enough to 64 to be about perfect imo. Get it that slack, some lighter wheels and an air shock and that thing will be a rocket :P IIRC the newer torques are about 64 with a 180mm Fox 36, so it'd bring it inline with the current models.
  • Hmm that is indeed true (and makes it easier as the 1.5deg is out of stock lol!).

Want to throw some money at the bike on payday.... might be my only chance for the next few years!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My 456SS was around 64 degrees and also a tank through tight turns. A bike that slack needs to be thrown in to a turn with a good bit of aggression.
    My Scalp is around 39lb but its the geometry that really needs force to get it turned but straight line stability is amazing.