Rockrider 5.3 or Carrera Vulcan

bwfc4eva868
bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Both brand new, he doesn't want second hand and is looking at the above two. Which is the better bike? Mainly for trail centres Gisburn, Healey nab and Lee Quarry, twisty wooded local trails and Rivington. With view to upgrading the bits progressively.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Vulcan has the better brakes, the Rockrider the better fork and drivetrain. Is little in it apart from that.
  • bwfc4eva868
    Is the extra travel in the Vulcans fork worth it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    'It' being what?

As stated the RR has the better forks, the Vulcan the better brakes. The RR is more XC biased, the Vulcan is more trail biased with slighter slacker/more relaxed feel to it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bwfc4eva868
    Which is the better bike for Gisburn? And general long rides in the countryside? He tried my partners Cannondale Sl5 and wants something similar to that handling wise.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Nothing really in it.

Both have poor forks

Carrera has hydraulic brakes but is 8 speed
    RR has 9 speed with mechanical discs..
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bwfc4eva868
    Nothing really in it.

Both have poor forks

Carrera has hydraulic brakes but is 8 speed
    RR has 9 speed with mechanical discs..

Both do have poor forks but a simple upgrade when skills improve and then onto either a top end hardtail or a mid range full suss. It worked for me I had a Vulcan and upgraded it and now own something a lot better.

Just after a good base for him to work on and upgrade as skills improve.
  • 97th choice
    Agree, I started with a Vulcan. But if you already know that why
    Are you needing a decision made for you?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bwfc4eva868
    Agree, I started with a Vulcan. But if you already know that why
    Are you needing a decision made for you?

I had the 09 Vulcan and it was a great bike till I replaced it two weeks ago. But the geometry of it didn't inspire confidence like say my current bike (Cube Ams 130 race) or my partners Cannondale Sl5 which is really good fun on descents even with the crappy suntour fork. So he wants and I'm trying to advise him on something like the cannondale but out of the RR and Vulcan. Both are better specced than the Cannondale also.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The XCR fork on the RR is a fair bit better than that of the Vulcan. But if you plan to upgrade one or the other I'd actually get the Vulcan and stick a better fork on it.
  • bwfc4eva868
    supersonic wrote:
    The XCR fork on the RR is a fair bit better than that of the Vulcan. But if you plan to upgrade one or the other I'd actually get the Vulcan and stick a better fork on it.

Would a suntour epicon rld be ok as a budget upgrade?
  • 97th choice
    If you are looking to upgrade straight away why not look at slightly
    More expensive bikes?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500