Do I need a narrower front tyre?

2»

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Give it a rest, you're like the paris frikking Hilton of mountain biking.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    lawman wrote:
    Ever heard of a thing known as an educated guess? :roll: assuming the bike is stock, it will probably have quite a long stem, which it does and relatively narrow bars, which it also does. Therefore a small setup change, say to a 70mm stem and 710mm bar would make a big difference to the bikes handling and offer the OP more control than his current setup and thanks to the shorter stem, faster steering.

Not if he's wobbling round the berm like it's shaped like a fifty pence piece in the first place.

short stem/wide bars aren't just a bikeradar/future publishing mantra, MBR is well into that too.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    get your knee out and lean....I learnt at Fod the best. lean until you find as far as your tyres can go and then fall off and don't go that far again......well that's how I did it anyway :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    neilrosser wrote:
    90mm stem
    690mm wide bar
    I do find reading the thread rather than guessing - however 'educated' (Educating by reading the thread would be a great idea) works really well!

Would add to that though that a 90mm stem with a 690mm bar is a bit long, I'd normally look at that being paired with a 60/70mm stem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    welshkev wrote:
    get your knee out and lean....I learnt at Fod the best. lean until you find as far as your tyres can go and then fall off and don't go that far again......well that's how I did it anyway :lol:

+1,

I find best place for me for berms is the 4x at chicksands, the berms there are about 6 foot!

Don't know about you, but when you do lean a bit too far, and the bike skips out underneath you - I always end up laughing. It might be because it's a slow, and not a particularly painfull way to fall - or I could just be mad.
  • dmont
    dmont Posts: 74
    DCR00 wrote:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/strength-training-3-steps-faster-corners-2011.html

Not necessarily needed for berms, but the technique will help you rail berms as well as flat corners

Wider bars/shorter stems/slacker/steeper angles will not make up for lack of skill

+1 also have a look at :

http://www.youtube.com/user/IMBIKEMAG - look at the cornering stuff.... v good....
    And a very simple one to remember : http://vimeo.com/41187732

Dmont
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu
  • neilrosser
    neilrosser Posts: 236
    Wow guys :shock: Thanks for ALL your wonderful knowledge and really useful info :lol:
    I think the first thing I should do is run the blue route more, and try to adjust my lines & technique.
    If I find I'm still struggling I'll then look into the tyre/bar/stem debate :)
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you're going to Swinley keep an eye on London Calling in rides, or the Facebook page in my sig. I'm rubbish but some of the people I ride with actually can.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • neilrosser
    cooldad wrote:
    If you're going to Swinley keep an eye on London Calling in rides, or the Facebook page in my sig. I'm rubbish but some of the people I ride with actually can.
    I do look at London Calling on here & on FB, & SFMB on FB.
    Will definately join you guys when you go :D . and if your as slow as you say then that sounds perfect :lol:
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • cooldad
    I'm actually a gnarrly riding god, but I don't want to show the youngsters up or they might give up and take up knitting or golf.
    Or worse become roadies.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    An old mate of mine used to pull hooliganistic 150mph wheelies on his R1. Now he plays golf.
  • neilrosser
    cooldad wrote:
    I'm actually a gnarrly riding god
    Me too....I just don't do corners :?
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Cannot defy the laws of physics.

All this 2 different tyres baffles me as yes, 1 front biggy may provide more grip and thinner on back for more speed or what ever. But is it not better to have two tyres working in harmony rather than against each other?

Just a thought
  • YeehaaMcgee
    why would they be working against each other?
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    neilrosser wrote:

Nope. Keep practising by riding more.

Id be willing to bet money that changing your stem makes approximately 0.000001% difference to your cornering if you haven't nailed the technique
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    I'm actually a gnarrly riding god
    Until you wake up anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    DCR00 wrote:
    neilrosser wrote:

Id be willing to bet money that changing your stem makes approximately 0.000001% difference to your cornering if you haven't nailed the technique

Which is wh we all still ride round with 150mm stems and 500mm bars... You can't seriously be suggesting that it will make no difference at all? Yes there is a riders technique that might need to be looked at, but go back to a bar/stem setup you used 15 years ago and I bet you wouldn't corner or ride the bike as well.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Lawman, for the love of sanity, just stop. Please, stop.
  • pesky_jones
    Not everyone is rich lawman
  • cooldad
    Not everyone is a scrounging, tax sucking, benefit abusing student, lawman
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    edited July 2013
    lawman wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:
    neilrosser wrote:

Which is wh we all still ride round with 150mm stems and 500mm bars... You can't seriously be suggesting that it will make no difference at all? Yes there is a riders technique that might need to be looked at, but go back to a bar/stem setup you used 15 years ago and I bet you wouldn't corner or ride the bike as well.

Well i probaly wouldnt no, cause im still learning, but give it to a pro and either stem/bar combo and they will rail the corner

The length of the stem would make little difference to the cornering action anyway. A shorter stem only speeds up the turning of the handlebars, and since railing a corner is all about leaning the bike underneath you, i doubt a longer/shorter stem would make that much difference. Although that said, stem length dies effect weight distribution, so i guess if you went too short you could unweight the front end, but that could easily be counteracted by taking a more aggressive position on the bike.

Wider bars would probably make it easier/more stable to lean the bike, so i guess would make it "easier", but if you dont understand the mechanics of actually railing the corner, then i fail to see how having longer handlebars would make any difference. Its like giving a monkey a spaceship. Yes it can go into space, but unless you train the monkey to fly the thing, you may as well have given it a banana.

The point im making is that shortening the stem a bit and putting wider bars on will not have as greater effect as learning to ride your bike properly
  • welshkev
    I've just changed my bars from 680mm to 710mm cos I had a pair in the shed so I thought i'd give them a go....I don't think it makes any difference :?
  • pesky_jones
    welshkev wrote:
    I've just changed my bars from 680mm to 710mm cos I had a pair in the shed so I thought i'd give them a go....I don't think it makes any difference :?

Whereas I recently went from 720s to 750s and I'd say it made a huge difference. Hands were sliding off the edges on the 720s.
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:

Whereas I recently went from 720s to 750s and I'd say it made a huge difference. Hands were sliding off the edges on the 720s.

just hold the grips tighter you fool :wink:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Stem and bar length can effect the way a bike handles and shouldn't be totally ignored but I would always look at technique first.

As suggested there are many cornering guides that should hopefully sort you out. Search the big bike website like Bikeradar and Pinkbike etc.. and you'll find guides from professional riders or tutors that will show you the correct technique. Not some random kid on you tube :-)

The bar width and stem combo can be a very personal thing, with some who don't get on with wider bars and actually prefer narrower bars. The sizes the OP states are still within modern tastes and if they feel comfortable I wouldn't bother changing them for now.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    And the answer is, your brain is concentrating too much on your entry and not enough on your exit. That's why you are making adjustments to your line.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • neilrosser
    Sooo much better today :D even on a damp track :)
    Trek Fuel EX8