Vuelta, preliminary thread

Lichtblick
Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
edited August 2013 in Pro race
La Vuelta a España

Contador says he's not riding it this year.
Will Wiggins be there? When does the start list come out?

more follows.........thanks!

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Settle petal. We've a while to go yet...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Lichtblick

I know, but I'm kinda a Big Tour person.

If someone is in le Tour and la Vuelta, are the intervening weeks enough recovery time?

If not, I take it that Cav's not in the Vuelta either? (He already did the Giro......), so can I also take it that Sagan Greipel and Kittel are also not in the Vuelta?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    It's all about Nibali
  • Lichtblick
    ThomThom wrote:
    It's all about Nibali

No! He's going for the Worlds, in September, in Italy.
  • Lichtblick
    I've just thought of something.

Since French, Italian, and Spanish languages all derive from Latin, and all have masculine, feminine and neuter genders for nouns, why is the French for "the tour" masculine "Le Tour de France", whereas both Italian and Spanish have feminine "La Giro d'Italia" and "La Vuelta d'España"?

:)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Lichtblick wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    It's all about Nibali

Hope so. Froome v Nibs. Brilliant.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Lichtblick wrote:
    La Vuelta a España

Contador says he's not riding it this year.
    Will Wiggins be there? When does the start list come out?

more follows.........thanks!
    Wiggins? Can't see it. He'll be doing whatever prep he needs for the Worlds ITT would be my guess.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    He's doing the Tour of Britain which usually clashes with the Vuleta so we won't see Wiggins there.

I'm more wondering what Froomes plans are as he did the Vuleta last year but I wonder if he'll sit this one out and maybe doing the Tour of Britain.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Froome to ride in support of Uran/Henao as prep for Worlds?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • thomthom
    edited July 2013
    Lichtblick wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    It's all about Nibali

He's also riding the Vuelta. To win it.
  • markhewitt1978
    Lichtblick wrote:

Since French, Italian, and Spanish languages all derive from Latin, and all have masculine, feminine and neuter genders for nouns, why is the French for "the tour" masculine "Le Tour de France", whereas both Italian and Spanish have feminine "La Giro d'Italia" and "La Vuelta d'España"?

Having different genders is quite common.
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Lichtblick wrote:

*pulls up Grammar Pedant chair, sits down*

It's Il Giro, not La - it's masculine, too. And French doesn't have neuter gender.

*walks off, friendless*

*runs back*
    Spanish - not a scooby
    *hides*
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,556
    Details and bits here

http://www.lavuelta.com/13/es/recorrido/vuelta.html

I was hoping that Cav would ride it as, apart from post tour crits, there's not much else for him this year; however, it is a lot easier for me to write it than for him to do 3 GTs in one year.
  • raymond82
    raymond82 Posts: 330
    Mollema and Ten Dam will participate! You can imagine the expectations here in Holland!
  • Lichtblick
    He's doing the Tour of Britain which usually clashes with the Vuleta so we won't see Wiggins there.

ok, tick.

The Vuelta ends on Sept 15th
    The Tour of Britain starts on Sept 15th
  • Lichtblick
    chrisday wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

*pulls up Grammar Pedant chair, sits down*

It's Il Giro, not La - it's masculine, too. And French doesn't have neuter gender.

*walks off, friendless*

*runs back*
    Spanish - not a scooby
    *hides*

okee doke, it was a minor point which temporarily engaged me
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Going to be amazing. A proper mountain fest.

Joaquim, Uran, Henao, Valverde, Nibali and maybe Contador.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Personally, I've been finding the endless uphill finishes a bit dull.

It's become like watching Fleche Wallone 10 times in a row.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The Vuelta dull? Heaven forbid...

Will be interesting to see who rides the full 3 weeks given most of the likely contenders will be likely worlds contenders.
  • markhewitt1978
    The Vuelta dull? Heaven forbid...

Will be interesting to see who rides the full 3 weeks given most of the likely contenders will be likely worlds contenders.

That's the trouble with all races except for the Tour de France; it's a question of "who's going to compete". With the winner almost being decided by who doesn't turn up as much as who does.
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    I don't see anyone whose gone flat out at the Tour challenging and beating someone whose skipped it, simply not possible to peak for two big events so close to each other, it's been proven so many times...most recently Evans jaded from Giro efforts this year, even Cavendish in the sprints too, Froome in the Vuelta last year, Contador pre-ban in Tour (that Evans won) folllowing a Giro win, etc., etc.
  • Are ITV4 showing it this year? Please say they are, or is it another three weeks of Eurosport Player hell?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    Lichtblick wrote:

I know, but I'm kinda a Big Tour person.

If someone is in le Tour and la Vuelta, are the intervening weeks enough recovery time?

If not, I take it that Cav's not in the Vuelta either? (He already did the Giro......), so can I also take it that Sagan Greipel and Kittel are also not in the Vuelta?

If you're a big tour person you've got the Tour of Poland and Eneco Tour to look forward to first - proper races!

If the Vuelta is anything like last year it will be a waste of time any sprinters turning up.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Valverde is riding it and I thought he looked to be finishing strong at the TdF despite putting in plenty of work for Quintana the final week. Not sure how much he'll have in the tank to give for a 2nd grand tour effort so soon though.

His thoughts on rivals there:
    "The Colombians [Rigoberto Uran and Sergio Henao - Sky], Joaquim [Rodriguez - Katusha] and Nibali (Astana) will be the main rivals. We'll have to see if [defending champion] Alberto [Contador - Saxo-Tinkoff] decides to come too."
  • thomthom
    If the Vuelta last year had had just half the coverage of the Tour then it wouldn't have had the reputation as a 'fantastic race' (it was still good, mind you). Instead we got into the races when there was like 50km left and an uphill finish. Never saw anything of the 150km of flat before the final ascent.

The question is; Is that what we want? Just get right into the action. No coverage of the early parts of the route.
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    Just a guess, but 'Tour' 'giro' and vuelta', although all from romance languages have different root-words, and thus different gender.
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • Pross
    ThomThom wrote:
    If the Vuelta last year had had just half the coverage of the Tour then it wouldn't have had the reputation as a 'fantastic race' (it was still good, mind you). Instead we got into the races when there was like 50km left and an uphill finish. Never saw anything of the 150km of flat before the final ascent.

The question is; Is that what we want? Just get right into the action. No coverage of the early parts of the route.

I think many people last year found it excellent in the first week but started to tire of every stage appearing like a repeat of the previous one with the same 3 (4 for the first half of the race) riders contesting steep, uphill sprints. I got bored of it in the end. I'm sure I also watched quite extensive live coverage of it on ITV4 whilst on holiday, certainly not just the final hour.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I thought last years Vuelta was the best Grand Tour ive seen in a while but then I am a climber fan. Sprints bore the sh*t out of me.

This years edition should be fantastic - not for the course but because it might be quite evenly matched. A real battle. None of this riding for podium place after 9 days.
  • Pross
    I thought last years Vuelta was the best Grand Tour ive seen in a while but then I am a climber fan. Sprints bore the sh*t out of me.

This years edition should be fantastic - not for the course but because it might be quite evenly matched. A real battle. None of this riding for podium place after 9 days.

I generally like climbing stages but it was the lack of variety last year that got tedious. It was good that the GC wasn't over and done with half way through but there were about four days in a row where the same select group had a sprint up a 20%, fairly short climb to the finish.