New Parts

anthonyratcliffe
anthonyratcliffe Posts: 10
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

My old Apollo mountain bike has just about died and i using this as an excuse to learn more about bike building. The gears are not working very well and they don't shift without weird noises. I am planning to replace the cassette. I also only use the first 5 gears (it's 2x5) so I also want to replace the chain-ring with a single and remove the front derailer (is this possible). I am wondering if this is likely to resolve my problem or if you guys think I will need a new derailer (I have already changed cables and chain). My current gear is shimano if i buy a single chainring (same amount of teeth) and a new 5 speed cassette are they all compatible with each other or do specific shimano gear only go with each other?

Cheers Ant

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    This is on the Apollo right?

If so. Nope give up.

Ps - it's probably not a cassette.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have some doubts - unlikely that the chainrings bolt on - more likely riveted. If they do come off, you will need the same BCD and number of bolts.
    And the rear wheel will be a freewheel, not a freehub so not a cassette.
    If you remove the front mech you'll need something to keep the chain on, so might as well leave the mech. Assuming you can remove a chainring.
    Finally how does the mech connect - bolt on to a hanger or with a fixing on the axle?

Maybe read 'Read this first' below and work out what you have/can do.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Is this conversion not like a conversion to single speed but with a chain guide ?

I thought all MTB use cassettes?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No, probably not with a BSO.

Did you 'read this first'?
  • I was reading it as I wrote that stupidly :D

bso - cheap sh*t bike? , would I be better off getting a frame like this for learning on:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-Evo2-1 ... 3a82fc5a21