Bike Frame Design

zanelad
zanelad Posts: 269
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
I've been thinking about pensioning off the old Ribble and getting a new bike.

On looking around I am puzzled by the current trend for steeply raked crossbars (I expect that term will date me)
rather than a more horizontal one.

To my ageing eyes they look a bit like you've bought too small a frame and have raised the seat post way up.

What's the reasoning behind the style?

I much prefer the more traditional looking bike, but if I don't consider the more modern style it will severely limit my choices.

Comments

• The trend for sloping top tubes was pioneered by Mike Burrows' work with Giant. The design allows for a stiffer frameset. To a lesser degree it also makes it more comfortable by allowing a longer seatpost.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Frames will vary among manufacturers in the amount the top tube slopes downwards. At Rourke's (custom made albeit) they go for a more traditional look, and set the top tube with an overall 4cm downwards slope which is quite mild. Some bikes have substantially more.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The sloping road frame was developed by the likes of Ross Schafer and Keith Bontranger in the 90s based on MTB designs and was subsequently copied by Mike Burrows. The geometry is exactly the same in that the saddle and bar positions are identical, so it's purely aesthetics. The longer seatpost does provide a bit more 'give'. What has also happened is that 'sportive' bikes feature extended headtubes to cater for those who don't want such a low handlebar position, which accentuates the slope on the toptube.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    If you prefer a more traditional look then I'd go titanium if funds allow. Metal tubes and simple lines. Look the biz.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    It was more of a cost/production that sloping tubes came out. Burrows found that yes, the frame was stiffer but Giant knew that the could produce a smaller range of frames (S,M,L,XL) than the traditional large number everyone else did.
    M.Rushton
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    morstar wrote:
    If you prefer a more traditional look then I'd go titanium if funds allow. Metal tubes and simple lines. Look the biz.

I love the look of titanium bikes. Just not sure I could justify the cost......but then again, you can''t take it with you as they say. 8)

Perhaps I should take my own advice (light hearted) advice and tell Mrs Z that it's my money and I'll spend it how I wish.

Wish me luck....if it all goes tits up I'll post visitng hours here later.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    GiantMike wrote:

I am sooo tempted to just buy that frame. What a bargain.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava