McDonald's outrage! Not just bikes!

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
A woman has been fined for taking her horse into a McDonald's restaurant in Greater Manchester.

Police said the woman, who has not been named, was in the saddle when she was initially turned away from the drive-through kiosk on Bury New Road.

The woman then led the animal inside, where it "ended up doing his business on the floor", a Greater Manchester Police (GMP) spokesman said.

McDonald's said it was unable to serve customers on horseback.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-23403935

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I've never understood why cycling through the drive-thru is regarded as a health and safety issue; has anyone ever heard an explanation? Considering the speeds involved I'd have thought it's much safer than riding along the road...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    edited July 2013
    I imagine it's to stop people wobbling away carrying a Big Mac meal and a Hot Apple Pie, then spilling the lot on themselves and subsequently suing McDonalds for serving them. The filling inside one of them apple pies is hotter than the sun y'know!

In the case of the woman on the horse, it's probably because they didn't want to be held liable for distressing the animal by serving up one of its own! :wink:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    TGOTB wrote:
    I've never understood why cycling through the drive-thru is regarded as a health and safety issue; has anyone ever heard an explanation? Considering the speeds involved I'd have thought it's much safer than riding along the road...

Easy question. Nothing to do with health and saftey everything to do with insurance. Their public liability insurance will define what activities are covered and will include servering motor vehicles through the drive thru and take away and sitdown customer in the resturant. Therefore anything that isn't a motor vehicle is not insured through the drive thru so they won't serve you. Chances are they have never asked the insurer to include cycles (and horse) in which case no risk (health and saftey) assement has ever been done.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Mobility scooters? Not *necessarily* an MPV (and certainly not an MV) as per the Road Traffic Act? Seen them been served before at Drive Throughs. Guess it's down to individual sites and their interpretation though...
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    I think the problem was not so much presence of the horse itself but the fact that the horse took a dump in the restaurant. This apparently distressed the customers. How they noticed over the smell of hot grease was not explained.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I've been through the drive thru on my bike mid-bonk. They served me just fine. Speed bumps plus sausage and egg mc muffin plus sprite was a challenge to carry and balance at the same time though.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    kelsen wrote:
    I imagine it's to stop people wobbling away carrying a Big Mac meal and a Hot Apple Pie, then spilling the lot on themselves and subsequently suing McDonalds for serving them. The filling inside one of them apple pies is hotter than the sun y'know!

In the case of the woman on the horse, it's probably because they didn't want to be held liable for distressing the animal by serving up one of its own! :wink:
    And yet they will serve you on a motor bike.

I think Sketchley has hit the nail on the head.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.