Basso Astra Chorus 11 or Colnago CLX 3.0 Ultegra

moisha
moisha Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I am considering buying one of these bikes as I'm ready to upgrade from my entry level Fuji Team Pro Shimano 105 bought in 2010. Both these bikes are the 2013 models and have come highly recommended and are priced pretty much the same. I have a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels which I plan to use so not overly bothered about the wheel set either come with as mine are better. But in terms of the rest of the bike, I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences you can share. Quality of frame, components, campag vs shimano, weight, brand, etc......

I am 5'9" and weigh 83kg so not exactly tall and thin like Froome! I ride mostly sportives (up to 150km) and lots of smaller pre-work power hour sessions with my mates. I am strong on flats but not the best on hills which I am looking to improve. My current bike is about 9.5kg and would like a lighter bike although I know this alone wont get me up hills any quicker!

I am looking for a bit of comfort which I believe both these bikes offer which is why I haven't gone for a pure road racer. A mate of mine said I should look into Storck Bikes but these seem like pure race machines.

Anyway, other than these I was also looking into a build your own from Ribble so this is also a consideration I suppose. I haven't tested any of these as yet but of course will do so before i actually buy. But in the meantime it would be helpful to get the opinions of others.

Thanks
Mark

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    My Astra is amazing, but they are billed as a 'race' frame. It is UCI approved and although the head tube is taller than some it is very stiff. Quality of frame and finish is 'top notch'. No amount of photos show off the lines of the frame and quality of finish.

Can not offer any opinion on the Colnago as I have not owned one other that 'it is a Colnago'.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    To the OP if you opt for the Basso then your Mavic Elites will need changing to a Campag freehub of course - not a difficult job but factor in the cost of a new or secondhand Mavic Campag freehub.

For me if they were both a similar price I would take the Basso as in my opinion Chorus 11 is a better groupset than Ultegra 6700.

Both nice brands of course. I have had two Bassos through my hands in the past - very good bikes IMO.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    nochekmate wrote:
    I have had two Bassos through my hands in the past - very good bikes IMO.

Stealing bikes?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Both nice bikes. You will be proud to ride either. Basso looks a bit racier. I too would rate Chorus ahead of Ultegra. aside from the fact that Chorus is 11 speed it really seems to be a very good groupset in terms of function, looks and durability. I also do not like the Shimano shifter/hood design. Campag brakes are much easier to operate from the hood position.

The 2013 Basso Astra paint job is particularly gorgeous in all versions. I reckon that would be where my money went if the bike was a good fit but for goodness sake make sure its comfortable for what you want. whats the warranty position with both brands?
  • smidsy
    3 years on Basso, no idea on Colnago.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Why change the wheels on the Basso ? I've been told that the Micro Tech Quantum's that come as
    standard on the Astra are quite good, Miche Syntium's or so I'm told.

By the way, the Basso everytime :D
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    nochekmate wrote:
    I have had two Bassos through my hands in the past - very good bikes IMO.

Stealing bikes?

Perhaps I could have phrased it a little better but I am rather surprised given your position on the forum Paolo, that you should question my integrity.

I buy and sell bikes and bike components.

Why would I deal in stolen bikes when I've heard that there is more money to be made flogging dodgy handbuilts :lol:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I've owned my Astra since 2010, brilliant bike, stiff yet light with plenty of feedback from the front in corners. Out in all weathers and as good as new. I wouldn't describe it as a comfortable ride though, although now riding on tubs it's a bit more comfortable. After a proper fitting session, my bars are dropped as low as possible on top of the head for the best aero riding position for me, so on 100+ mile rides the neck and shoulders do begin aching a bit and you notice every bump in the road. Cobbles would be a nightmare. I wouldn't deter anyone from buying a Basso, but just be mindful that it isn't a sportive bike. It's a racer.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • smidsy
    OP - Yes just in case you have not twigged yet 'the Astra is a race bike'. Not sure who told you otherwise.

I find it comfortable though, although on really bad surfaces there is certainly a lot of feedback. This is what comes from having a proper stiff, razor sharp handling frame.

Great frame, but a tourer it is not.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • moisha
    Thanks everyone for all the replies - its great to hear your opinions and from what I can tell you are all more Basso fans than Colnago fans - probably because I have been advised to look into these two bikes thinking they are of the same spec, feel, and ride and now understand they are not.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, the Basso wins hands down, however I am somewhat put off by it being a race machine. Although I like the look and idea of it, in reality I probably need more of a lightweight sportive bike that will stay comfortable over the longer distances. I have heard that this sportive/racer group of bikes is a new market and some brands are already making bikes to fit in this area. Something like the Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod.

Any thoughts on going down the Ribble route? And if you feel there are other bikes I should be looking at within the £2500-£3000, then please let me know as I'm all ears!

Thanks
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Dolan?
    Listing Force 22 and Red 22 as groupset options.
    Cheers, Stu
  • StillGoing
    moisha wrote:
    Thanks everyone for all the replies - its great to hear your opinions and from what I can tell you are all more Basso fans than Colnago fans - probably because I have been advised to look into these two bikes thinking they are of the same spec, feel, and ride and now understand they are not.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, the Basso wins hands down, however I am somewhat put off by it being a race machine. Although I like the look and idea of it, in reality I probably need more of a lightweight sportive bike that will stay comfortable over the longer distances. I have heard that this sportive/racer group of bikes is a new market and some brands are already making bikes to fit in this area. Something like the Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod.

Any thoughts on going down the Ribble route? And if you feel there are other bikes I should be looking at within the £2500-£3000, then please let me know as I'm all ears!

Thanks

It is possible to ride long distances on it, it just isn't a sportive bike. As long as you remember that and put the time in the saddle to get used to it, you won't be disappointed.
  • moisha
    duckson wrote:
    Dolan?
    Listing Force 22 and Red 22 as groupset options.

Never heard of them but will take a good look. Thanks
  • Can you please tell me where you were thinking of buying the Basso from. I am looking for one in the UK and am struggling to find a dealer.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    This is a old thread and wiggle was selling them at the time.
    http://www.cyclinglinks.co.uk/manufactu ... ails/1075/
    Think I read that Basso was looking at change its distributors last year so list may not be up to date.
  • StillGoing
    principal wrote:
    Can you please tell me where you were thinking of buying the Basso from. I am looking for one in the UK and am struggling to find a dealer.

Basso reduced the number of authorised dealers due to the limited production from actually designing and building their frames in house in Italy. They refuse to go down the mass production route by farming frame construction out to others and risk poor craftsmanship. Try the Basso web site to find an authorised dealer or ask your LBS who the official importers are and contact them.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Have a look at Spirit bikes in Aylesbury. They are Basso dealers and do bike fit too
  • smidsy
    I am selling my astra its a 56 with full ultegra if you are interested
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    smidsy wrote:

I might be if he isn't!?!
  • smidsy wrote:

Nice enterprise there SMIDSY :lol: