Cycling companion for cycling around Chiang Mai in early Aug

mendipracer
mendipracer Posts: 66
edited September 2013 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning on doing a cycling tour in Thailand beginning 2nd August. I'm currently doing this on my own but would prefer company and would be happy to adapt the route if need be. I'm hoping to do around 6 days touring averaging 100km/day.

My rough plan is to arrive in Chiang Mai on 2nd August and do the 600km Mae Hong Son loop over 6days. I would also be happy to cycle from Chiang Mai to Mae Sot along the Burmese Border. I will be using my garmin for navigation.

I'm from the UK and have been working in Malaysia on my gap year since January but have 2 weeks holiday in thailand before I go back. Have cycle toured in the UK (lejog), France and around Malaysia.

Please get back to me if interested, it lo

James

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Hi James. Just wondering if you made this trip and if you did, how you got on? I've done the Mae Hong Son loop a few times and it is a fantastic trip but I've only ever done it supported, as part of a tour. I'm not sure I'd want to haul any more than me and my bike up those gradients.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Yes I did it! I've never done so much climbing, did 3500m on the last day. I took very little gear with just a small 5litre dry bag attached to the seat post. It was great to do but I wouldn't do it again due to the heat and the the towns past Pai where all quite similar
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Congratulations. That is an epic trip to undertake solo.

I've only done that route in winter time (January and November) and the heat hasn't been too much of a problem. In fact, last year we were setting out wrapped up in arm warmers and gilets in a bid to stave off the cold although it would get pleasantly warm by mid-morning.

3,500 metres in a day is pretty hardcore when you factor in the gradients. Did you do Doi Inthanon on that day?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet