Brian Cookson's future plans to deal with doping in cycling

jonomc4
jonomc4 Posts: 891
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Just quoted here in full for your comments
"This year's Tour de France has seen many heroic performances yet there has been a mood of scepticism and doubt in some quarters. This is deeply frustrating for the riders but, if you look at the past and what our sport has been through, it is not a surprise. We must act to change this situation so that the public can feel confident and cycling's great performances can be heralded not disparaged. After a magnificent end to the 100th Tour de France, the UCI owes it to all the clean riders to show leadership on anti doping.

"In my election manifesto launched last month, I outlined plans to establish a completely Independent Anti Doping Unit that would be physically and politically separate from the UCI. It would report to a board totally independent of the UCI in full cooperation with WADA.

"This is the cornerstone of my strategy to more effectively tackle doping in cycling and start the process of rebuilding trust in our sport. However, in light of the continuing issues arising from the Armstrong era and cycling's ongoing credibility problem, more can and must be done.

"It has nearly always required a third party such as government, the police or a national anti doping agency to launch major investigations into doping in cycling. The UCI has rarely seemed willing to take the initiative and it is critical that this changes as a matter of urgency. Looking ahead, the UCI must demonstrate true leadership and show a real desire to deal with the past and properly tackle doping in the future. I believe this is essential for the sport, for the riders, for the fans and for the sponsors.

"Today I am outlining seven further anti doping measures that I would introduce if elected President of the UCI to recharge the fight against doping:

Put an end to the UCI's public feuding with anti doping bodies such as WADA and USADA
Instigate a fully independent investigation into doping in cycling so we can deal once and for all with the past, with amnesties/reductions in sanctions to encourage all those involved to come forward
Ensure more transparency, data sharing and co-operation by teams with their national anti-doping body and cycling's Independent Anti Doping Unit
Create the role of independent team compliance officers whose duty will be to report regularly to the Independent Anti Doping Unit
Introduce a Fit and Proper Person's test in cycling
Support four year bans for dopers, and pursue doping enablers as well as riders
Expand the UCI's anti doping education programmes

An End to Feuding

"It is absurd that a sport that has suffered so much from doping has been in open conflict with the very people it should be working in partnership with. It is critical that the UCI develops an open, co-operative working relationships with WADA and the National Anti Doping Organisations. This is crucial if cycling's war against doping is to succeed."

New Investigation

"We must learn from the past. I will implement a fully independent investigation into doping in cycling so we can deal once and for all with the past, with amnesties/reductions in sanctions to encourage all those involved to come forward. This will require agreement with WADA on its terms of reference and the appropriate amnesty provisions to properly incentivise those involved to come forward, but it must be done. The brief of the investigation should include the uncovering of any UCI corruption and collusion, and understand what factors led to the culture of doping."

Greater Transparency

"The release by Team Sky of Chris Froome's power data symbolised the sport's credibility problem and showed the need for more transparency, data sharing and co-operation from the teams. That is why I am committed to ensuring the UCI adopt rules requiring teams and organisers to share relevant data and intelligence with the Independent Anti Doping Unit and relevant National Anti Doping organisations."

Compliance Officers

"I believe that transparency will be helped significantly with a system to create the role of independent team compliance officers whose duty will be to report regularly to the Independent Anti Doping Unit."

Four year bans

"I fully support longer bans for those found guilty of doping and welcome WADA's new four year bans that will come into force from 2015. It is important that these sanctions are not just placed on riders found guilty, but also on those who enable doping to take place, such as managers, team staff and doctors. The UCI needs to put real effort into catching those who facilitate doping and champion whistleblowers, not denigrate them."

Fit and Proper Person's Test

"If elected UCI President I will introduce a Fit and Proper Person's test in cycling, taking the example from regulations which govern who is fit to be a company director. I want to see the UCI adopt a process by which team managers, team doctors and sports directors are assessed for their suitability to be in a position of authority in the sport."

Expand Education

"Finally, I want to see an expansion of the UCI's education programmes, building on the good work of 'True Champion or Cheat' which is one of the excellent legacies of Anne Gripper's time as UCI Head of Anti Doping."

Summary

"Taken together, these anti doping measures can set a new path for the UCI and help to rebuild trust in our athletes and our sport. If we fail to embrace change, our sport will continue to be damaged by on-going innuendo, rumour and a fundamental lack of trust. The UCI must act decisively and show genuine leadership to support a new culture of anti doping."

Comments

• jonomc4
    hmmm guess people would rather argue about the whether someone is doping or not based on no facts one way or the other, rather than talk about potential solutions - guess we all just enjoy a fight rather than working on solutions.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    jonomc4 wrote:
    hmmm guess people would rather argue about the whether someone is doping or not based on no facts one way or the other, rather than talk about potential solutions - guess we all just enjoy a fight rather than working on solutions.

I read this elsewhere and was going to comment but given the last post I'm just going to be childish...

Awww no one replied to my thread Waaah Waaaah :cry:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    How many current DSs would pass the fit and proper person's test do we think?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    That's the interesting proposal - potential for a lot of argument over the detail there.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • There's been problems with doping within the UK whilst Brian has been president.

Not all of it publicised either which is a greater worry.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Yeah, the fit and proper person's test is the one that sticks out. Bye bye Bjarne.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Yeah, the fit and proper person's test is the one that sticks out. Bye bye Bjarne.

Would Dave B pass it?
    Employed dodgy DSs
    Dodgy team doctor
    Sure there's other stuff too
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,566
    afx237vi wrote:

Would Dave B pass it?
    Employed dodgy DSs
    Dodgy team doctor
    Sure there's other stuff too

Yeah yeah... Go for Dave B before Vinokourov right?

There's a whole swathe of dodgy staff that this would hit... though wonder how would it segue with the "amnesties/reductions in sanctions" approach... confess and ye shall be allowed to continue to work in cycling?
  • jonomc4
    I have always felt it is the team "doctors" and DS's that are a bigger problem than the cyclists themselves. We all remember Nicole Cooke saying she was paid less than her team mates because she would take PED's. To me her team mangers deserve a lifetime ban.

If the team mangers are truly on script then this would do more than anything to reduce drugs. It really irritates me that these people who manage the teams don't take the personal risks and in most cases don't get the penalties so often given out to the riders who often go in drug free but are spat out the other end in disgrace.
  • jonomc4
    MrTapir wrote:
    How many current DSs would pass the fit and proper person's test do we think?

As mentioned above this I think is a weak link in his proposal and without substance (no pun intended) - what is the detail of how it will be carried out?
  • MartinB2444
    MartinB2444 Posts: 266
    Being a fit and proper person isn't about never having made mistakes or errors of judgement (in the case of DB). I would guess it would be applied to future appts.

It isn't going to instantly (or ever) make cycling squeaky clean but sounds good to me.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,341
    Fit and Proper person all sounds good until you try and use it. Needs a very strong definition.

English football has one, but that hasn't stopped a whole cast of reprobates from buying clubs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Exactly, it sounds good until you try and put it into practice. Would Vino be allowed? David Millar? It either becomes zero tolerance or very subjective pretty quickly.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    edited July 2013
    DB, why not. Never been involved with the old doping practices or teams. Always had an anti doping stance.

Millar? Not sure. Ex doper but admitted all and is now a powerful advocate for clean cycling. Possibly.

Vino? never. Un repentant doper.

Mr Cookson has some interesting proposals. He would need to be pushed on a time frame for implementation though, a lot of good ideas get forgotten once people are in power. :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    The irony of this is that if you take away the "Fit and proper persons test" It's exactly what everyone has been saying for the last 2/3 years or so...

It's good stuff but it's hardly rocket science...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The only way it will work is to have an amnesty for all concerned. Doping in cycling has never been an individual problem - if everyone else is doing it then you have no option but to follow suit or drop out.

Clean break. Everyone to be given a chance but harsher penalties going forwards.

No other choice in my book or people won't come forward and nothing will change.