saddle sores

bigcgilmour
bigcgilmour Posts: 106
edited July 2013 in Road general
Would welcome any advice on how to treat these and then how to prevent?

I've tried a few saddles and got some nice Assos Bibs - still not helping...

Also is rest the only way to treat them? Any amazing cures been found?

Comments

• ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    I think there's a few good threads about this so worth doing a search. Lot's of people suggest using Sudocrem.

I've just bought some Assos Chamois Creme and its the mutts danglies. I would strongly suggest you buy some and apply it onto your chamois pad after every wash and onto your skin directly before every ride. It's AWESOME stuff and well worth the £12.99 price tag.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I use Sudocreme as a preventative measure and it works fine. Have also used vaseline in the past and thats ok too. Never noticed either of them damaging my clothing.
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    I tried sudocrem and bepanthen with no effect. What's working for me is using an acne cream with 10% benzoyl peroxide in it. Be careful, though, because it bleaches everything it comes into contact with. So you have to wash and rinse very carefully in the shower, otherwise towels and bathmats will have orange patches on them. :-( Oops!

I tried to get some at Boots, but they had none. Clean and Clear Persa-gel 10 is what I use. A tiny blob on the affected region prevents them.

I had to rest up and get rid of the old ones before it worked, too.

HTH,

J.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I got sore before this years L2P and used my trusty Assos repair cream, keep off the bike for 3 days and apply it a few times a day, works a treat.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    When my seat was a bit too high I found I got more sores. Dropped it by 1 cm and was much better

Sudocreme is good once you have showered
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Tea tree/Witch Hazel type spot zapper things are meant to be quite good. Failing that, Dettol and wire brush. And use chamois creme if you don't already.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Surgical spirit-anti septic and toughens the skin up-use sparingly.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Vary your shorts. Using solely the same type will mean pressure in the same place every time you ride. Use Assos chamois creme to reduce rubbing. Use an antiseptic cream such as Germolene to soothe any pressure points after you ride. Have a shower or bath after a ride and keep your undercarriage scrupulously clean.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    CTC wrote:
    When my seat was a bit too high I found I got more sores. Dropped it by 1 cm and was much better

This. The first thing to do to prevent saddle sores is making sure your bike fit is spot on. I've found that a small adjustment of just a few mm can make all the difference.

Re chamois cream everyone has a fave. Personally I've found the Assos stuff to be the best for undergoolie health but I like the menthol Chapeau stuff too purely for the smell!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    i had a really sore area and i was amazed how fast METANIUM nappy rash cream worked.. only £2:80
    now bought assos cream to hopefully prevent it in future, not used it yet though.. but didnt have any issues in the last 2,000 miles iv pedalled.. must be the recent heat
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • n4th4n007
    n4th4n007 Posts: 364
    Chamois cream to prevent (Assos or Chapeau)....rub it in your ass AND rub it into the chamois of your shorts for double protection. Try to get out your bib shorts and shower as soon as you finish a ride....don't sit around in them. Its the nasties in the sweat, etc that makes it all worse.

Use Sudocream to treat a saddle sore, not to prevent it. Sudocream is a barrier, it will not prevent saddle sores as a chamois cream will such as Assos or Chapeau.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    It may play havoc with OCD but twisting your saddle very slightly away from the side where it is sore works for some people.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Do not wear underpants with padded bike shorts. Any additional layer between your skin and the saddle is dangerous. And make sure, that the sweat can get away - material of the padding and shorts.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    It surprises me that cyclists seem to like Sudocreme so much, when Metanium contains titanium. It's obvious that's going to make you quicker :-)

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)