Racing Post Injury.

FoolishFour
FoolishFour Posts: 11
edited August 2013 in Amateur race
Brief question:
I currently hold a cat 3 licence, but have spent the last 18 months injured (Platella Tracking Issue) and hence not at race fitness. I am hoping to race myself fit.

To get back into race, can I race at a Cat 4 level at all? Perhaps organise it in someway to make me non-competitive? Or do I have to opt for Cat3/4 races and run the risk of being blown out the back for the next couple of months?

Cheers.

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Answer: don't try to race yourself fit, if you're worried about being blown out the back. Train yourself decently fit first, then race. Or try a race and see how it goes, it'll give you an idea at least.

4th cat is the beginners' category. You're not a beginner, hence not a 4th cat anymore. There is no going back from 3rd cat.

The speed difference between 4ths and 3rds is negligible anyway. Any 3rd cat who takes time off from racing for any other reason is in the same boat as you, so frankly no, you shouldn't be allowed to race in 4th cat races. That's not what 4th cat races are there for.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I know thirds that have ridden 4th only races on a day licence. It's not clever though....
  • Absolutely fair enough - just needed an idea of what was the done thing.

Think it is the club chaingang for a while then!
  • I don't think there's many people who would choose to go back to racing with the 4ths! You wouldn't gain a huge deal from it (a club chain gang would be a better workout), and I'd be worried about the risk of crashing.

Sometimes it's nice to go into a race with no pressure - do some 3rd cat races just to get a feel for it again and to see where your legs are. And just enjoy it!