Road Etiquette

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That wouldn't be takes meds, but smokes a Joint then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    mattshrops wrote:
    <fake Scandinavian accent>
    Hey you guysh whatsh with all the aggro? We all have two wheelsh baby. Letsh shpread shome love round here. Yeah.

When shomeone takesh libertiesh I jusht shhout "I love you man" Yeah total freak out.Woohoo

Takes meds.
    Fake Dutch accent surely? :wink:

Yep-Meds obv too strong- forgot where I was :oops:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • rsg929
    rsg929 Posts: 2
    Used to be a roadie (not of the fat bearded rocker stage type) and thought MTB riders were just hooligans then after several years' gap and get into MTB, find that MTB riders are hooligans but roadies are a bunch of pretentious arseholes that are often all the gear but no idea. Then again some MTBs are all about going down the hills and forgetting you have to get up to get on down...

And still I'm a newbie. I go out, hash, get mucky and come home with a smile. Anything else is taking yourself too seriously, but I still hate w*nkers that jump red lights on any transport.
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    cooldad wrote:
    My son, who is obviously much younger and fitter than me, has a party trick with roadies. The climb up Holmbury hill is a nasty, long steep road and a favourite roadie climb. He waits until a group come sailing past our motley puffing bunch, then pulls out and steams past them, on a rather chunky Spesh Enduro. All done sitting down with ease.
    We just laugh as their heads explode.
    Wow, you guys are great and you really are a 'cool dad'! And your son is obviously much fitter and a loads better climber than any roadie who ever climbed that hill!

(No, not really)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you lost?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Seanos
    Seanos Posts: 301
    cooldad wrote:
    Are you lost?
    No, I was looking for a tool with a sadly ironic name and I managed to find you.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Well hello captain literal.I see you're looking for an argument.
    Well you've certainly come to the right place. How may we help you today?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I got "drafted" by a roadie last week. When I say drafted, I'd commuted to the office (40km each way) on the hardtail, full knobbly tyres, etc, and was about 6 or 7km from home. I was wrecked, and couldn't have been doing more than 10 or 12km an hour at that point on a slight incline. The road was straight and clear and he didn't overtake me, he sat about a metre behind me.

I can't imagine, even though I'm a big unit, that at that speed he got any benefit for sitting behind me for about 1km. He eventually turned off into a side street, leaving me a little perplexed.

I had a guy do at for 10k last week, he had slowed down to take a drink so I just rode past, obviously I broke some unwritten law in his head. As I was on a heavy 29er and he was on a light road bike he could have overtaken, or even taken a turn in front. :roll:
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Could be a slow, unfit, or tired rider. Not that surprising.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    In summary then someone on a different bike to mine did something I wasn't doing at that time and then did something else. And then I p!ssed my knickers.(obligatory and begrudged smiley face mutter mutter)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Oh, the bitchiness!!!

I've been a roadie for the last few years and recently took delivery of a new MTB. Never had an opinion of either, I was just out there for the enjoyment of it. On the roadie, if I overtook another roadie, or MTBer, pedestrian, or horse rider, they'd always get a hello, morning, afternoon or whatever was appropriate. It fascinates me as to why people seem to have this problem with others from a different discipline. We're all out enjoying (most of the time) our sport and should respect each other for what we're doing, shouldn't we? Maybe I'm just too cheery! Must be all the endorphins from exercising that makes me so happy!
    Now where are those fu**ing car drivers!!! :D
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Oh, the bitchiness!!!

I've been a roadie for the last few years and recently took delivery of a new MTB. Never had an opinion of either, I was just out there for the enjoyment of it. On the roadie, if I overtook another roadie, or MTBer, pedestrian, or horse rider, they'd always get a hello, morning, afternoon or whatever was appropriate. It fascinates me as to why people seem to have this problem with others from a different discipline. We're all out enjoying (most of the time) our sport and should respect each other for what we're doing, shouldn't we? Maybe I'm just too cheery! Must be all the endorphins from exercising that makes me so happy!

I ride past a group of roadies at least once a week, they meet by my house to do a10km time trial loop. I ride past and always say hello - sometimes riding my DH bike :lol: and a few times not one of them has responded. I know they've heard me as they've looked in my direction when I've said it.

I have quite a few friends who are roadies so i'm not going to tar everyone with the same brush, but I reckon the roadies looking down their noses, slagging off mountain bikers is just the same :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    to do a10km time trial....a few times not one of them has responded. I know they've heard me

Do you stand at the edge of velodromes and athletic tracks shouting 'hello' at people going past, and then wonder why they don't reply? :wink:

The person in the OP's tale was clearly a nobber, but roadies often give a very subtle nod as they pass.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Oh, the bitchiness!!!

This ^^^. Massively.
  • welshkev
    bails87 wrote:
    to do a10km time trial....a few times not one of them has responded. I know they've heard me

Do you stand at the edge of velodromes and athletic tracks shouting 'hello' at people going past, and then wonder why they don't reply? :wink:

The person in the OP's tale was clearly a nobber, but roadies often give a very subtle nod as they pass.

ooooh, mr pedantic :wink:

no, but as I see them most weeks it's only polite I think to say hello to a fellow rider. they're not actually riding they're usually just stood around chatting, so an " evening lads" is polite in my opinion, their not responding is knobbery :wink::lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    welshkev wrote:
    their not responding is knobbery :wink::lol:
    I'll teach you the meaning of knobbery in a minute.
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    their not responding is knobbery :wink::lol:
    I'll teach you the meaning of knobbery in a minute.

you haven't got a good knobbery in you
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I've had more...
    Oh no, wait. I'm not falling for that again. I'm still walking funny form last time.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    welshkev wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

ooooh, mr pedantic :wink:

no, but as I see them most weeks it's only polite I think to say hello to a fellow rider. they're not actually riding they're usually just stood around chatting, so an " evening lads" is polite in my opinion, their not responding is knobbery :wink::lol:
    :lol:

I know really, some people are just ...knobberyish!

I don't see many roadies when I'm on my MTB because I tend be off road, but I usually get the 'imperceptible nod of recognition' from roadies when I'm on the road. It's the people who look like they see riding a bike as a chore who don't acknowledge me....like the bloke I see every morning pushing his bike along the cyclepath :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Sitter
    Sitter Posts: 40
    Some cyclists round my way this evening that could do with a lesson or two. "Oh look, a car coming, lets's pull out of this junction right in front of them" risky enough if they were in a car, but on bikes, near suicidal. They then proceeded to pull right out in to the middle of the road as they were wanting to turn right, signalled as such and then realised the bloody great big no entry signs... Better stop and rethink right here on the junction, never mind there are cars behind us, cars coming the other direction up the road, plus cars wanting to pull out of the one way street they'd wanted to turn in...