Newly fitted disc brakes rubbing on disc...

James Q
James Q Posts: 201
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently fitted some clarks hydraulic disc brakes to my bike, mounted up fine followed the caliper alignment instructions but the disc rubs against the pad on the locking nut side (right hand side if your looking at them from the top). How can I move that particular pad back to stop it from rubbing?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If there is adjustment, adjust it, otherwise centre the caliper.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • James Q
    can the locking nut be used to pull the pad back? I know you can on mechanical disc brakes but weren't sure if u can on hydraulics.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No idea - read the instructions.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • James Q
    That was the first thing I read and it just states it as a locking nut and thats it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Ignore any instructions that tell you to squeeze the lever and rotate the wheel in order to centre the calliper. It hardly ever works, and is more a matter of luck.
    Flip the bike over, and align the calliper by eye to the brake rotor.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    James Q wrote:
    That was the first thing I read and it just states it as a locking nut and thats it.
    Exactly.....the answer is no it can't then!

Align as YHMcG suggests, making sure the caliper doesn't twist as you do the bolts up (a little at a time!).

A little rubbing is normal!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    The Rookie wrote:
    A little rubbing is normal!
    But, but, you told me last night that it was creepy and uncomfortable.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No that was the Baaaaa noises you made while your were doing it......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.