Box hill

richard_farrant
richard_farrant Posts: 231
edited July 2013 in Road general
Morning,

I went to Box hill for the 1st time yesterday (http://app.strava.com/activities/68918826), was mentally busy but not as taxing as I was expecting. Just been looking over the strava output and was quite frankly amazed at how many segments a 3.5 mile climb can have! why do strava let so many segments appear? is it coz people just dont want to have resting time in their segment and so create a new one for everytime they stop?

Monday morning grumble over

Rich

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Did you go down the other side?

Dreadful gravel trap at the bottom where you turn into Headley Common Road. Two guys came off right next to me yesterday.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Did you go down the other side?

Dreadful gravel trap at the bottom where you turn into Headley Common Road. Two guys came off right next to me yesterday.

It does make you wonder why they have resurfaced that road with loose chippings so close to Ride London?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Saw them getting seen to by aa ambulance, flashing lights alerted me thankfully, also ignored the road closed sign going back to the A25, not entirely sure that it needed to be there on a Sunday...
  • Just been looking over the strava output and was quite frankly amazed at how many segments a 3.5 mile climb can have! why do strava let so many segments appear? is it coz people just dont want to have resting time in their segment and so create a new one for everytime they stop?

Au contraire, what Strava needs is More overlaying segments creating.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chrisaonabike
    Saw them getting seen to by aa ambulance, flashing lights alerted me thankfully
    I went past the ambulance - extremely slowly since as you say, the flashing lights etc did make it obvious that something was up.

The guys that came off next to me didn't heed the warning - they were ok though.
  • chrisaonabike

It does make you wonder why they have resurfaced that road with loose chippings so close to Ride London?
    It'll be fine in two weeks time. I expect it's because of RL100 that they've done it now.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Yea Box Hill is more of a 'pick a gear and get in a rhythm' hill. Rather one that you have to spin or muscle up.

Re Strava, is it possible to create segments but not publish them?

I'd like to keep track of parts of a loop of mine, but I don't want to clutter up the segments list, but just keep them to myself.
  • Ed-tron wrote:
    Yea Box Hill is more of a 'pick a gear and get in a rhythm' hill. Rather one that you have to spin or muscle up.

Re Strava, is it possible to create segments but not publish them?

I'd like to keep track of parts of a loop of mine, but I don't want to clutter up the segments list, but just keep them to myself.

You can mark them as private so only you can see them
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You can mark them as private so only you can see them

I wish more people would do them. A few around here which are like "Training Loop Part 1" - it has no meaning for me!
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    Saw them getting seen to by aa ambulance, flashing lights alerted me thankfully, also ignored the road closed sign going back to the A25, not entirely sure that it needed to be there on a Sunday...

I went down there too yesterday. Not doing would have completely messed my route up. Was a bit nervous the further down I got as I really didn't want to have to ascend it again if there was a complete road block.
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    Me too, and a large group of Sussex Nomads club mates. Had a good run up from Faygate near Horsham in time for tea and cake nom nom! That gravel did look ominous, knew someone was going to come a cropper on it at some point during the day. Lets hope they sweep it all up before the Ride100, not that I'm doing it
  • cerv50 wrote:
    Me too, and a large group of Sussex Nomads club mates. Had a good run up from Faygate near Horsham in time for tea and cake nom nom! That gravel did look ominous, knew someone was going to come a cropper on it at some point during the day. Lets hope they sweep it all up before the Ride100, not that I'm doing it

You probably passed me then, was going up at the same time as lots of Nomads
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    Might have done but tbh didn't really look up that much apart from dodging cars coming towards me lol I was on Cervelo S5, depending on what part of the hill might have been alone or with Nomad chasing my tail on his Boardman. I love that hill and will be making a few more efforts there when I get some spare time
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    cerv50 wrote:
    Might have done but tbh didn't really look up that much apart from dodging cars coming towards me lol I was on Cervelo S5, depending on what part of the hill might have been alone or with Nomad chasing my tail on his Boardman. I love that hill and will be making a few more efforts there when I get some spare time
    It's worth it if for no other reason than it must have one of the nicest surfaces in Surrey to ride on (most Surrey road surfaces being otherwise rubbish)
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389

It'll be fine in two weeks time. I expect it's because of RL100 that they've done it now.

It sounds like its not got any better from when I went along the road a few weeks back.

I had a couple of stones embedded in my tyres, perhaps because of the heat, along with little bits of tar. One got into my drivechain as I was switching gears and I had some new scratches on the underneath of my frame. I had to go really slowly because of the flying stones and it was quite easy to slide and lose traction.

I think that is going to be a pretty nightmarish part on the Ride London.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Steve236 wrote:

(most Surrey road surfaces being otherwise rubbish)

Don't ever come to Gloucestershire if you think that then lol.

Visited Surrey on a RLS100 rec'e a few weeks back and thought the roads were ok.
    Box Hill was super smooth though.
    It was not as long or steep as I expected but guess it will seem longer and steeper next time I tackle it :wink:

Torrential rain should help get rid of some of the Chipping's :lol:
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Actually just found a Ride London FAQ they put out yesterday which has some details on the road surface, as follows:

Surrey County Council is undertaking its regular summer carriageway surface dressing programme across the road network, some of which coincides with the RideLondon-Surrey 100 route. This surface dressing usually takes a few days to settle and the roads in question will be regularly swept in the lead up to the event to ensure the route is in a suitable condition, by removing the excess chippings and gravel - especially on corners. Other parts of the RideLondon-Surrey route are being repaired as part of Surrey County Council's wider ongoing Highway Maintenance programme.

So looks like they might give problem roads like the one discussed a clean up before the event.
  • Rich_E wrote:
    Actually just found a Ride London FAQ they put out yesterday which has some details on the road surface, as follows:

Surrey County Council is undertaking its regular summer carriageway surface dressing programme across the road network, some of which coincides with the RideLondon-Surrey 100 route. This surface dressing usually takes a few days to settle and the roads in question will be regularly swept in the lead up to the event to ensure the route is in a suitable condition, by removing the excess chippings and gravel - especially on corners. Other parts of the RideLondon-Surrey route are being repaired as part of Surrey County Council's wider ongoing Highway Maintenance programme.

So looks like they might give problem roads like the one discussed a clean up before the event.

That's good to know. Thanks Rich_E
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Torrential rain should help get rid of some of the Chipping's :lol:
    What torrential rain? We're still waiting for ours.
    Mangeur