what to upgrade on Giant TCR composite 3?

BigTK
BigTK Posts: 47
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
hi there folks,
i would like your input into what i could or should upgrade on my bike.
esp advice on what set of wheels to upgrade to. i need to get ones that can take my heavy weight. i weigh 105 kg approx. plus road around my area have huge pot holes in them.
i have a giant tcr composite 3, a link is below to the exact specs
http://www.onyerbikeonline.com/giant-tc ... -581-p.asp
thanks in advance

Comments

• night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    You "could" upgrade anything but to be honest what you upgrade depends on what you are trying to achieve by spending money on your bike?

Do you want to make your bike faster? The best change you could make for this would be to lose weight from you not from your bike and it would not cost anything to do this.

Do you want your bike to be more comfortable? Which part is uncomfortable because that is where you should start.

Do you want your bike to look nicer? Then just buy whatever you think looks nice and add it.

Do you want people to look at your bike and think it is expensive? Buy a Pinarello Dogma 2 frameset a snip at £4kish.

Do you want better wheels? Talk to a wheel builder and tell him what type of riding you do and your budget and he will build you something suitable. At your weight do not get sucked into buying factory made light wheels, you will break them.

Do you want better tyres? Read reviews and buy some that suit your type of riding or listen to anyone who loves the tyres that they spent loads of their own money on because they will rarely hate them.
  • BigTK
    Definitely want stronger wheels. But I don't want to pay half the price of the bike though. How does one find these wheel builders? I live in Burnley
    Losing weight is a work in progress.
    And any other suggestions you have.
    I just want to ride it, not competitive, just casual riding for fitness.
    From your experience what would you change?
  • night_porter
    night_porter Posts: 888
    Have a look through some of the many bike wheel threads (ignore the hype though just look for wheel builders) or contact ugo a member on here and he will point you in the right direction or give you an idea of what might be suitable. My local bike shop has an older guy who is brilliant at building wheels and I would only buy from him but I do not know about your area. Do you need stronger wheels or is it just that you think you need stronger wheels are you having problems with your current set?

Honestly though I would not change anything, it is a very good bike and considering you want to ride for fitness then it looks perfect for that.

If you have any comfort issues then get those sorted, maybe get a bike fit to help with that.

If things break or wear out then consider what you replace them with otherwise just enjoy your bike and ride, ride, ride.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    BigTK wrote:
    hi there folks,
    i would like your input into what i could or should upgrade on my bike.
    esp advice on what set of wheels to upgrade to. i need to get ones that can take my heavy weight. i weigh 105 kg approx. plus road around my area have huge pot holes in them.
    i have a giant tcr composite 3, a link is below to the exact specs
    http://www.onyerbikeonline.com/giant-tc ... -581-p.asp
    thanks in advance

BigTK, With respect the PR2 wheels at your weight are probably not a bad option. Lose 20kg then reward yourself with a 1500g set. Will make a massive difference to the bike. Mavic Kysrium Elites or a nice hand built set. The frame is good, any upgrades will be purely cosmetic and probably not necessary. Ride the bike as much as you can and it will reward you well, then treat it to some nice new wheels!
  • BigTK
    Thank you all guys.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Work on upgrading the rider - looks like that's where the biggest benefits are to be had...
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    BigTK wrote:
    Thank you all guys.

Good luck man.