Comedy Moment

plymouthsteve
plymouthsteve Posts: 137
edited July 2013 in Road general
Well, if you can't laugh at yourself..
Caught up with a tractor at a busy town centre yesterday. It happens down here.
It was at a roundabout and stopped, so I did what we all do (Sorry, many of us) and slowed to a crawl, desperate not to unclip and got closer until I was right up behind it when I had an idea! To save me unclipping, I'd hold the back of the stationary trailer, then as soon as it starts moving, I'll use the tug to get going again.
At zero mph, I stretch out whilst fully clipped in to grab the back of the trailer at the exact moment that it pulled away. I grabbed thin air before dropping to the ground in front of the queue that had formed.
Sorry guys.
Hope you can laugh.

Comments

• diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 719
    Excellent, I actually laughed out loud at that!
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    edited July 2013
    me too.!!!! i pulled up to a set of light and like a fool decided to hold the rear of a artic.. like you it pulled away

luckily i just managed to stay up,, but will never do that again
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Nice one, proper del boy moment
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Haha!!! That's the funniest thing I've read all week.

Hope you're ok though :P

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Haha, class. Made me think of Del...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtboTwW-Jao
    tick - tick - tick
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Class!
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    To view that from the car behind would have been priceless! I hope you got a hoot of applause
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Moronic and dangerous rather than comedy, but if that does it for you.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    edited July 2013
    Lighten up. No one's dead, the traffic was almost stationary if not at a complete stop. Yes it was slightly silly and the op paid the price of a hugely dented ego. No harm done.

Op, that's flipping hilarious. I had my first clipless moment on Saturday morning in front of a few people at an outdoor cafe area, but it doesn't sound as embarrassing as yours. That'll learn ya :lol:
  • metronome
    ct8282 wrote:
    ...I had my first clipless moment on Saturday morning in front of a few people at an outdoor date area...

Is that a romantic term for dogging?
    tick - tick - tick
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    :D . My concern there is that when the tractor departs it will do so with quite some force so it could easily pull you off your bike, rather than drag to to a rolling start.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    metronome wrote:
    ct8282 wrote:
    ...I had my first clipless moment on Saturday morning in front of a few people at an outdoor date area...

Is that a romantic term for dogging?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Bloody iPad typos and predictive text!! Too funny. Clipless moment while trying to get laid!
  • metronome
    :lol:
    tick - tick - tick
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    :D . My concern there is that when the tractor departs it will do so with quite some force so it could easily pull you off your bike, rather than drag to to a rolling start.

quite some force but very very slowly so should be ok! unless tractor near you are different to the ones round here!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Moronic and dangerous rather than comedy, but if that does it for you.

Nah its not that bad.A bit silly at worst and lesson learnt but overall a bit funny and embarrassing. :oops:
  • ktuludays
    ktuludays Posts: 96
    cheers for the giggle
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    I tried a posing track stand at a set of lights...suffice to say...it didnt work..I ended up on the deck..lots of people looking asking if i was okay...I felt a bit of a divvy!! NO MORE track stands....not like I could ever do it anyway!!!
    Just unclip, sit at the lights in a boring, but safe way now!!

Oh and tonight....got a LARGE bee in my mouth which stung me on the bottom lip!!!! Instantly looked like Ali had clipped me! and was doing 30plus mph at time! That wasnt funny...just scary, it swelled up really fast ..worried about Anaphalatic shock....correct my spelling if you feel the urge!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    diplodicus wrote:
    Excellent, I actually laughed out loud at that!

This!

I think what makes this funny is we can all see ourselves trying something very similar...

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • WarlKicken
    WarlKicken Posts: 224
    Well, if you can't laugh at yourself..
    Caught up with a tractor at a busy town centre yesterday. It happens down here.
    It was at a roundabout and stopped, so I did what we all do (Sorry, many of us) and slowed to a crawl, desperate not to unclip and got closer until I was right up behind it when I had an idea! To save me unclipping, I'd hold the back of the stationary trailer, then as soon as it starts moving, I'll use the tug to get going again.
    At zero mph, I stretch out whilst fully clipped in to grab the back of the trailer at the exact moment that it pulled away. I grabbed thin air before dropping to the ground in front of the queue that had formed.
    Sorry guys.
    Hope you can laugh.

I hate Tuesdays, they're nothing days. They don't have the abuse hurled at them that Mondays get and they're not 'hump' day that is Wednesday which sheds that little ray of joy and light knowing "tomorrow is Thursday". Tuesdays are nothing days and boring.

This post made my Tuesday. Thoroughly had me chuckling at my desk so "thank you"! ;)

I remember my first ever commute with clip-ins. 05:45 in the morning, coming up to Stockwell tube station I had to slow behind a bus. Having never used clip-ins before my brain was completely and utterly baffled as to what was going to happen/ what was the protocol when stopping and clipped in. Needless to say, at zero kph I slowly toppled like I'd been felled such as you would a tree. I laughed all the way down :-D
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352

There is alwasy one :roll: and I am usually the cautious git to criticise.

Made me laugh.
  • WarlKicken
    WarlKicken Posts: 224

Puzzled as to what is to be gained from voicing this opinion?

The chap held his hands up, admitted he was stupid and we're all having a laugh at his expensive...with him. In the course of cycle we all due stupid, 'moronic' and 'dangerous' things we all regret later on but it's jolly decent when somebody can accept they're wrong and there is no ill that comes of it so we can enjoy the story and have a giggle.

There is saying, somewhere, written in the archives of life...can't quite put ones finger on it?...um.....ah! "If you've got nothing nice to say...sod off"
  • Oh well.

Glad that 99% of you were happy to laugh with / at me.
    Thanks for your comments. Nothing damaged except a bit of pride.
    Just hope my next thread will be of a different nature!

Cheers