New Biker- Unrealistic Budget?

APVBikes
APVBikes Posts: 2
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
I'm new to bikes, and I'm looking for a good quality hybrid to ride to work (roads, 6mi commute), and maybe some trails on the weekends. I am 5'1 F so I think I will need a 14-15 size frame, and I also want a pannier rack and mudguards. When I have gone to a few cycle stores to ask for opinions, I have essentially been laughed out of the store because of my budget. I am willing to spend more if its really necessary, but I find it hard to believe that I can't get a quality bike for 300p that can meet my needs. Am I being unrealistic?

Comments

• sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    £300 is normally considered the very lowest price to get a reasonable bike and if you want a decent bike which will also work for off roading you may struggle to find anything below £500.

That said, you should be able to find a LBS who would be helpful enough to either tell you this or be able to find you something close to your limit such as this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec042522
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Giant do some very good low end bikes around your budget.
    Have a look at the sales as 2014 gear is making its way in so you may find something with a few quid knocked off...or give a discount a try.
    try a different shop as well..LBC shouldn't be sending you away !
  • Loun88
    Loun88 Posts: 29
    It is quite low if you intend to buy from a bike shop. You can go down the 2nd hand route. Have you looked at bikes that comes with all the accessories you want already installed such as these:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jam ... e-ec041470

http://www.blissbikes.co.uk/1089544/pro ... tAodyV4Amw
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Voodoo Marasa from Halfords, reasonably fast disc braked hybrid with wide enough tyres to go off road on trails/tracks/paths and £360ish, below that the Carrera Subway fits the bill, basically an MTB frame with rigid forks and tough components, not the lightest but as tough as old boots. The cheapest bikes with suspension worth getting are the Carrera Vulcan or Rockrider 5.3 (both around £350 but not as good on road as the Marasa), on anything else the forks add weight but offer no real benefit.

Not seen any good Giants at that price, they are all rubbish!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    APVBikes wrote:
    I'm new to bikes, and I'm looking for a good quality hybrid to ride to work (roads, 6mi commute), and maybe some trails on the weekends. I am 5'1 F so I think I will need a 14-15 size frame, and I also want a pannier rack and mudguards. When I have gone to a few cycle stores to ask for opinions, I have essentially been laughed out of the store because of my budget. I am willing to spend more if its really necessary, but I find it hard to believe that I can't get a quality bike for 300p that can meet my needs. Am I being unrealistic?

Check Decathlon B'twin . You will find bikes in the price range you are looking for and these have very good reviews too.

Their bestselling value for money model, with great reviews is their Triban 3 Red I've tested one, ( which a friend of mine rode it from Amsterdam to Athens, all the way down full loaded with bags and racks etc) and it is a really good bike in super price. :)

This is the bike ( photo from my friend's blog).
    IMG_4274.JPG
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    APVBikes wrote:
    maybe some trails on the weekends
    Won't be doing that on a road bike, so I'd ignore APVB's sugestion, the Fit3 won't do it either....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    APVBikes wrote:

Trek 7.0 is £325, which obviously doesn't include panniers or mudguards, but you can fit them.