2014 bikes ship dates

ubergn0men
ubergn0men Posts: 36
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the higher end mountain bike scene, and looking at doing my first big purchase. The bike will mostly be used for trail riding, so a XC-trailer FS 29er will be perfect. I'm hoping to spend <£2500.

Been looking at bikes but most of the good ones are sold out, so I was wondering:

Does anyone have any idea when 2014 bikes will start to ship? I understand this is different from brand to brand, but will some of them start soon? Feels better paying full retail pricing for something newly released, than for something which is almost outdated (atleast to me).

I'm especially interested in the Whyte bikes, but I'm having problem sourcing them in Sweden. Aren't these bikes sold outside of the UK? Any internet based stores shipping them?

If you have any other advice on good bikes for me, please say!

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    As manufacturers try to maintain price points despite inflation, bike specs often take a hit in the new model year. So you may well be better looking at a 2013 model which will hopefully be discounted soon. It won't be outdated.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • ubergn0men
    As manufacturers try to maintain price points despite inflation, bike specs often take a hit in the new model year. So you may well be better looking at a 2013 model which will hopefully be discounted soon. It won't be outdated.
    I see, but the 2013 will likely be lowered then I guess. Might be troublesome getting the right size at this time though.
  • PaulieB85
    PaulieB85 Posts: 16
    Some 2014 Models are out now (few of the giants) so expect end of August for the rest?
    MTB - Kona kikapu deluxe XTR - 2008
    Road - Giant Defy 1 - 2014
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    2014 Trek 29ers have been in the shops for a few weeks. Haven't seen any Giants though (haven't even seen any pics of production 2014 Giants, only pre production prototypes).
  • ubergn0men
    Okay, thanks for responses! Was really hoping I could source a whyte or giant from somewhere, but It seems hard to find shops sending these.

Is whyte limited to uk only?
  • Kowalski675
    Dunno, but my local Whyte dealer reckoned on late July for the 2014 bikes, so they shouldn't be too far away. He reckoned there's no changes to the T-129S, apart from a couple of hundred quid price rise.
  • ubergn0men
    Turns out whyte only is available over desk.

Any advice on most "bang for the buck" for my needs sub £2500 (might be able to go over slightly with right object)?
    Thinking about waiting for giant launch, hoping for some sweet anthem (or maybe wait for 2013 to go on sale)? I really want to go out riding now though...
  • Kowalski675
    And therein lies the rub - do you want to keep waiting, hoping for a bargain, or do you want to get out and ride now. Only you can decide which is worth more to you.
  • scarthie99
    scarthie99 Posts: 209
    try paul cycle i got SCOTT SCALE PREMIUM its got the top spec on it &2650 for it ride like a dream
  • nobby2607
    nobby2607 Posts: 41
    If you want the best spec for the best value, go to one of the online only manufacturers e.g. Canyon, rose etc. I can definitely recommend canyon, I'd be incredibly surprised if you can beat the spec for the price on any of their bikes. Only down side is it'll be sept/ oct when the new bikes are available from them. Their 2013 stock levels are being ran down to get ready for the new bikes, but have a look depending on size you might be lucky.

If you want a bargain then by the end of August I'd say most of the bike shops will have all the discounts sorted as some have already started to drop the prices so none will want to lose out to the other.