Team sky car (and staff) attacked after stage

13»

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    suegoody wrote:
    I was on Corner 10 and saw what happened here. There were a group of French guys across from us with a blow up pool and syringes and they were squirting people cycling up along all day. It seemed to be good fun at the start but they were targeting people wearing Sky jerseys more. When the sky car passed they did throw a bucket of water in the window, although they were squirting water in other car windows too. When Froome came up the first time three of them ran up and squirted two big full syringes directly into his face. It was very powerful and I was horrified to be honest. Froome had to look away and many of us were talking about how awful and dangerous it was.

When the riders were due to come around the second time, we (2 Irish people) noticed that they were inside their van changing into scrubs which had syringes attached to them. They all had syringes ready to go. One of them was waiting outside to tell them when Froome was coming around the corner. I went over to a group of three British people (2 women and one guy) to tell them as we had discussed stopping them/calling the Gendarmarie if they tried to attack Froome again. As we were discussing what to do, it seemed that Froome was came coming close. Two of the British people ran over and stood against the door of the van to keep them in. The French guys were going MENTAL inside in the van and I reckon they broke the door of the van as they were stuck inside. The french guy keeping watch for Froome ran over and grabbed the British woman , throwing her aside VERY roughly. My boyfriend ran over to help her and to try to calm the guy who was FURIOUS and I ran down to get a nearby Gendarmarie. By the time I got back they were still stuck in the van, the Gendarmarie also stood against the door blocking them and Froome passed, wrecking their 'prank'. This all happened very quickly of course!

The French guys then managed to get out the back door (denting their own van) and three of them viciously attacked the British guy running straight out in front of riders. The almost knocked one rider and three riders had to actually stop as they were fighting in the middle of the road. One of the women ran over to help her friend and one of the French guys grabbed her by the hair, swung her around and punched her. My boyfriend again tried to help them, as did many other supporters, who tried to break up the fight. While the Gendarmarie were trying to take the British guy away, the French guys attacked him again, as he was being held. Eventually things settled, but it was very scary. The British women were really shook and upset. I was personally very scared myself as I thought they might attack me for calling the police or that my boyfriend would be hurt. It was really horrible. None of these guys had bikes, jerseys or even a French flag. They did not seem to know or care than a French rider took the stage. They seemed to be there solely to sabotage Froome. The had a big sign on the cliff saying "Froome Dopé". After the whole incident they went up and ripped down a pro-Froome poster too and got booed by spectators.

I heard later on Semnoz from other people staying on Corner 10 that later that night that they were all arrested. I really hope so. I also hope that the riders or Sky don't associate this incident with corner 10 or the Irish. I have already heard some versions of the story that seem to suggest it was connected to the Irish corner- but they had nothing to do with us. I wouldn't like to think the Irish were booing Sky but if they were, I'd say in was probably is a jokey kind of 'old rivals' way.

I suppose the positive thing to come out of it was that their prank was ruined. They were FURIOUS and the British guy they attacked did joke to me afterwards that is was worth it to see how pissed off they were!
    Incredible story. Well done for trapping the nutters in their van – I had to laugh at the thought of the police joining in! Good old France. Glad no-one was badly hurt and that the troublemakers got arrested for their trouble.

Although these incidents are rare, the sheer scale of the Tour and the closeness of the crowds to the riders makes me think it’s only a matter of time before a Sky rider is badly hurt, deliberately or as a consequence of a prank.

Good story. Thanks for sharing.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Dirty French scumbags! That won't happen in Yorkshire next year. No way.. Never ever..

No your right there it won't happen here in the UK.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    As a bit of balance the guys who took the film were French and wanted to put in on youtube to show how bad some of their racist compatriots are. Good on them.

The ADH incident makes some sense in the context of the Semnoz stage. The Gendarme motorbiker was following Froome closely but almost running into the spectators to keep them back and any of the people running by the side of Froome were given a swift punch or run off the road with his motorbike. He must have been ordered to take extra care which would make sense if there had been incidents on previous stages.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Indecently, me and my Wife were in the team sky area at the top of the Champs Elysees just where they came off the arc

:shock:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Indecently, me and my Wife were in the team sky area at the top of the Champs Elysees just where they came off the arc

Indeed. The only Rapha between them was their undergarments 8)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Macaloon wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Indeed. The only Rapha between them was their undergarments 8)

I blame predictive text! :mrgreen:
  • Paul 8v
    I don't want one of those sky Jags, they're all smashed up by angry fans. Got any other rental cars?
  • Now that the spam has been removed, it looks as if you have insanely revived this thread with a question aimed at nobody at all
  • Paul 8v
    True! I don't get these spammers, like any one is going to see that and click on the link?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    Don't reply to spam.

Report it and mods will handle.