initiated

surfatwork
surfatwork Posts: 82
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
got a pair of used SPD shoes, had a pair of shimano M520s, bought SPD cleats. put everything together, promptly fell off a few times and think I finally got the hang of it......errr..mostly.
just pootled along getting used to it. feet, and hence I, feel trapped. not sure if there are any real gains - disappointingly, didnt immediately feel power surging from my calves into the crank through the cleats...suppose I will have to do a proper ride to find out.
2011 Scott S30
2004 Trek 4500
2009 Trek 7.1

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    think just about everyone falls off a few times from the start...I certainly did !
    You have to train your legs to pedal in circles....thats the key....its cause your not used to it but they make a big difference !
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    *remember* your feet can pull up as well as down.
    *you may fall over, if you forget to un-clip before stopping. Terms & conditions apply.
    Cycling weakly
  • surfatwork
    surfatwork Posts: 82
    You also fall if you unclip your right foot and try to set your left foot down..... :oops:
    2011 Scott S30
    2004 Trek 4500
    2009 Trek 7.1
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    surfatwork wrote:
    You also fall if you unclip your right foot and try to set your left foot down..... :oops:

I've not fallen over (yet) but I very nearly did this on my second clipless ride! I'd unclipped my right foot, left my left clipped in. I'd actually stopped and had my right foot on the floor, but then for some reason which I still can't fathom, I somehow switched my weight across to the left and started to go over. Thanks to my wonderful eggbeaters tho - I managed to get my foot unclipped and prevent injury and more importantly, embarassment! (I was in traffic in a busy town centre with plenty of witnesses!!)
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I've never had a fall due to a clipped in foot....

Top tip: Loosen the clips on the pedals, there's no reason they need to be really tight, doesn't make a blind bit of difference other than making it harder to get your foot out the pedal when you need to, resulting in a silly fall ;)