Chamois Cream

FatManSeth
FatManSeth Posts: 32
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I'm prepared for this to be a stupid question, but what do you do with it?
I know it's meant to stop chaffing?

Do you just just rub it all over? Is it only for mega long rides?

Does it work?

Comments

• doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    - apply to undercarriage (gooch + sitbones)
    - yes it does + antibacterial
    - avoid the sensitive bits, gender specific
    - 40/50 miles plus
    - Yes
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Yes it works. I used Chamois creme for the first time yesterday. Bought the Assos stuff and its superb. Made a HUGE difference. The thing you notice the most is how much of a cooling effect it has. Feels like someone's blowing on your ass the whole way. Feels good. :)

I won't be riding without it now.
  • Go for it!

You will wonder why you cycled long distances without it. It solved my issues; I used to get severe chafing.
  • I use it at the very very tops of my legs, in the crease, where they meet the groin smeared all along the crease cause that area is where I chafe without it and on my sit bones cause it makes it more comfortable = Assos
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Its an individual thing as to whether you need it, where to put it, and how much to use.

I tend to put it on the sit bone area of the actual chamois, and don't find that I need to apply to skin too.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Assos, but really with any make you will feel the difference, you don't want chafing down there believe me!
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Been using the Assos stuff too, mainly because it's the only thing of theirs I can afford!

Not entirely sure what its meant to do but have only had soreness once when using it and that was a very rainy 120 miles in France so can't really blame Assos.

One question though....how much should you slap on?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    I use the Assos stuff in the areas that I feel discomfort if I don't use it. About the same amount as a heaped teaspoon on the skin or pad does for 40-50 miles.
    Avoid helmet and eye.
  • awginger
    awginger Posts: 23
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Avoid helmet and eye.
    Glad I am working at home today 'cos I laughed out loud when I read that!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Just to put the opposite view, I've never used cream in all my years of biking and never suffered any of this chafing or soreness etc, on rides as far as 120+ miles (Dunwich Dynamo + a trip up the coast whilst waiting for my lift back). Each to their own but I'd much prefer to be in the position where biking doesn't need to involve additional prep and costs like this, and IMHO it's better to go through the minor & short-term initial discomfort to get to the position where you can just jump on & ride whatever distance you plan on doing, without recourse to creams.

Each to their own though.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    CiB wrote:
    Just to put the opposite view, I've never used cream in all my years of biking and never suffered any of this chafing or soreness etc, on rides as far as 120+ miles (Dunwich Dynamo + a trip up the coast whilst waiting for my lift back). Each to their own but I'd much prefer to be in the position where biking doesn't need to involve additional prep and costs like this...

+1, except the part about 120+ miles as my longest so far is 82 but have done loads in the 60s, 70s, 80 range.

Did 82 very sweaty miles in 33C heat at the Wiggle Magnificat a couple of weeks ago and no chafing or soreness. Got some free Chamois Creme in the goody bag and am left wondering whether to bother trying it and if I did, what to do with it. Have pretty much concluded not to bother as I cant see why I would need it...
    I use the Assos stuff in the areas that I feel discomfort if I don't use it.

I would too, but have yet to find such an area...
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Brilliant Stuff and the Assos one is on special offer on Wiggle at the moment, have always gone Udderly Smooth before but will give this a try.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Another "user" of the Assos stuff here - and wouldnt be without it now. I never had any saddle sores or proper chaffing but still riding with it applied is more comfortable. Its on offer at Wiggle at the moment too for under £10.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-chamois-cream/
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    I haven't had any severe chaffing since I started riding but I usually find I get a small bit of discomfort, which I think is the stitching on edge of the padding. It wasn't much, but I'd rather focus on my riding than on the annoyance in my groin area. I've been using the udderley smooth stuff, cheaper than assos and seems to do the job.