Reynolds Assault

Pashley 24Mhz
Pashley 24Mhz Posts: 57
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Bought a new bike a couple of weeks ago, but now I'm in the market for a new clincher wheelset (lighter).

My choice is between Reynaulds Assault (46mm) and some 50 mm Chinese wheels. Are the Assaults worth paying almost double, or will there be no difference in ride feel/ braking...
I'm not a racer, but someone who enjoyes riding. Most of my rides are 40 to 70km, 25-27km/h, but in any weathertype (stock wheels can still be used when the wind is too strong).

Any experience/ opinions?

Current status:
p4pb9806231.jpg

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The assaults are reputedly good wheels with an excellent braking surface for a carbon clincher. I've had a pair of Chinese wheels, they were good but it's nice to have some piece of mind.

Have a look at these, they use a Reynolds carbon clincher rim, my mate has a pair and really rates them-

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.ph ... iv5i7f8n45
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Just playing the devil's advocate and not meaning to be patronising, but looking at your gearing and riding position, I don't think deep section carbon wheels suit your riding style. They are aimed to sustain high speeds for a long time in an aerodynamic riding position (saddle high, bars low)... that's where they give you an advantage.
    However, if you get them for the look, then get the Reynolds, they do look expensive, while cheap Chinese carbon clinchers look exactly what they are
    left the forum March 2023
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Just playing the devil's advocate and not meaning to be patronising, but looking at your gearing and riding position, I don't think deep section carbon wheels suit your riding style. They are aimed to sustain high speeds for a long time in an aerodynamic riding position (saddle high, bars low)... that's where they give you an advantage.
    However, if you get them for the look, then get the Reynolds, they do look expensive, while cheap Chinese carbon clinchers look exactly what they are

I didn't want to mention that, I assumed it'd be for bling purposes.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Tubulars
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Pashley 24Mhz
    Pashley 24Mhz Posts: 57
    edited July 2013
    I must admit, that It's not so much about the aero aspect I want to buy a set of high wheels, more the fact that I like the look.

I only can have a 2.5cm drop between saddle and bars according to the measuring I've let done, to save my back.
    I've chosen a triple to replace my compact as it gives me the ability to have more souplesse in the area I live in.
    Regarding the long way I've come (healthwise) I'm already happy riding those distaces again :D, and working to get the distances/speed up, but enjoying myself is still the main thing (plus the fact I like nice parts :wink: )
  • ugo.santalucia
    I must admit, that It's not so much about the aero aspect I want to buy a set of high wheels, more the fact that I like the look.

I only can have a 2.5cm drop between saddle and bars according to the measuring I've let done, to save my back.
    I've chosen a triple to replace my compact as it gives me the ability to have more souplesse in the area I live in.
    Regarding the long way I've come (healthwise) I'm already happy riding those distaces again :D

Have you considered the Cosmic Carbone SL or SLR? For everyday use an aluminium brake track give you a bit more piece of mind, doesn't need stupid brake pads and the Stickers are probably still the best looking... with Mavic you can even buy into their "whatever happens" crash replacement scheme, which is a bonus given the developing country road network we have
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    With a triple i cant see you getting the benefit, but if you feel you want to get the rey olds, they are great wheels. I was on a group ride with a guy that had some cheap chinese 50mm on and my god they were shocking.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

On the other hand, if the OP likes the look of the Chinese wheels he might as well get those. If you are paying good money to make your bike go more slowly, you might as well at least minimise the cost of the performance loss!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    The Reynolds make a nice wooshing sound as well.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    PX carbon clinchers with alu braking track. £499 for a limited time. 45mm profile and backed up by PX warranty. Cheaper than Reynolds, better than generic Chinese ones. ARC do some beautiful, light carbon wheels but they are tubs which might be worth considering. Cost is about £1 per gram of wheel though! Good job they are light.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486

Regarding the long way I've come (healthwise) I'm already happy riding those distaces again :D, and working to get the distances/speed up, but enjoying myself is still the main thing (plus the fact I like nice parts :wink: )

If it's about the look, just buy cheap ones, unless you're after brand bragging rights. Deep section rims are more aero, but at the speeds you mention that will have minimal impact.
  • ugo.santalucia
    mikenetic wrote:

If it's about the look, just buy cheap ones, unless you're after brand bragging rights. Deep section rims are more aero, but at the speeds you mention that will have minimal impact.

I would argue that if it is about the look, he should buy the ones that look best, not the cheapest... the cheap chinese wheels do look extremely cheap to the trained eye.
    Don't discard the "look" argument... the vast majority of people buying so called upgrades do so because of the look... bike fashion is a massive market
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Ive got two pairs. They are fantastic wheels. Very little flex compared to cheaper offerings, plus the braking is superb regardless of the fact its a carbon rim not alluminium. Must admit mine are used for faster riding averaging over 20mph where they do make sense. just make sure you remove the cack decals.
    i guess what the other guys are saying still stands. if your not going to get any aero benefit out of them, maybe look at some shallower carbon wheels. Plenty of bling wheels out there for similar cash that might suit your needs better.
    Up to you at the end of the day though :)
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I would argue that if it is about the look, he should buy the ones that look best, not the cheapest... the cheap chinese wheels do look extremely cheap to the trained eye.

Maybe - but the trained eye is probably laughing at you for running deep section wheels in the first place. Most people aren't going to look at your wheels any further than to note "Ahh, he has deep rim carbon wheels" - if they are a bit more savvy they will think "Ahh, he has deep rim carbon rims that aren't Zipps because there are no stickers on them". Probably not much else.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Have you considered the Cosmic Carbone SL or SLR?

I have clearly been transported to a parallel universe where everything I know is opposite :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    noodleman wrote:
    Ive got two pairs. They are fantastic wheels. Very little flex compared to cheaper offerings, plus the braking is superb regardless of the fact its a carbon rim not alluminium. Must admit mine are used for faster riding averaging over 20mph where they do make sense. just make sure you remove the cack decals.

I sold mine because they were too stiff. Riding the Surrey hills was like riding a bucking bronco.

Look lovely though.

IMG_0852.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • noodleman
    Better decals on the earlier models than the recent ones. Personally find big white stickers plastered all over the wheels spoils the lines of the frame though. Each to their own.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yeah but they pay you more for advertising big.....oh hang on, no, they don't.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • noodleman
    smidsy wrote:
    Yeah but they pay you more for advertising big.....oh hang on, no, they don't.
    Very good point :)
    Rose pro sl disc
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    noodleman wrote:
    Better decals on the earlier models than the recent ones. Personally find big white stickers plastered all over the wheels spoils the lines of the frame though. Each to their own.

Agree, first thing inwouldndo is have those stickers off, looks well OTT
  • ugo.santalucia
    Stueys wrote:
    noodleman wrote:

Oh gosh yes... best to leave all matt black, so that the bailiffs think I am riding a worthless Chinese bike and not a Dogma with 2 K of wheels
  • noiseboyfeetman
    noiseboyfeetman Posts: 719
    edited February 2015
    Stueys wrote:
    noodleman wrote:

I originally thought the same, but after recently testing some out I was surprised how good they looked once fitted.

Photo_zps9fca3a21.jpg
  • noodleman
    Stueys wrote:
    noodleman wrote:

Oh gosh yes... best to leave all matt black, so that the bailiffs think I am riding a worthless Chinese bike and not a Dogma with 2 K of wheels
    Team sky do it! :wink:
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    noodleman wrote:
    Stueys wrote:
    noodleman wrote:

Team sky do it! :wink:

Shimano wouldn't appreciate it if people knew that their TT's were won by HED and the climbing performance was due to AX-Lightness. :P
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Made my decision and ordered some Assaults :mrgreen: . Got them last week, but send them back because there was a chip of carbon missing on the edge of the rim.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Did you get these in the end?
  • Yup, bought them and immediately got a new pair from Reynolds in warranty as the original had a chip in the carbon.

Absolutely love them. They are the good weather wheels, so if it rains, I mount my original alu wheels. The Assaults ride so much smoother, softer... Glad I made the decission to buy them, definately would do it again with what I know.

p4pb10147134.jpg
    p4pb10147132.jpg
    p4pb10729789.jpg
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    mikenetic wrote:
    Deep section rims are more aero, but at the speeds you mention that will have minimal impact.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0 ... iders.html

'The largest absolute time savings from a given aerodynamic improvement are made by the least powerful/slowest riders.'