Calling Genesis mantle owners! (if there are any?)

orangepeel
orangepeel Posts: 22
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
I want to know about your experience of owning this bike. I'm very close to hitting the "buy" button on a 30 and would love some feedback; quality, riding position, how light/heavy it feels, component quality.

Although I've been hearing positive things, there are very few reviews out there so would like some first hand experience.

And does anyone know any weight figures? Waiting for Genesis to get back to me.

O.

Comments

• Hi Orangepeel

I currently own a Mantle 20 and it's a great bike IMHO. I rode several 29'ers on a demo day and the Mantle 20 felt planted and good to ride from the off.
    I would advise you to get a demo ride and check it out to make sure it works for you!

The quality of the bike is really good and the spec is good for the price ( I couldn't afford the 30). Gotta say the frame is fantastic and I have had several admiring comments, both from guys in my MTB club and strangers I've met and chatted to on the trails.
    I have managed to get a rough weight using kit at work and the 20 comes in somewhere around the 13KG mark with full lights and mudguards (crud catcher mounts on the down tube another nice touch) so not exactly and XC whippet but not a porker either.
    The Mantle 20 rides really well and goes like a train once you are rolling especially on climbs, the 29'er advantages shining through. Maybe it's not as manoeuvrable as a 26'er but once you get used to the turn in and stuff it all comes together nicely.
    The riding position for me is a comfortable one, I'm 5' 11'' and opted for a large frame. It's more of a leant forward position than an upright one but it's not a stretch. I have been on several all day rides and the only issue being the beginnings of a numb bum towards the end but not enough to feel a desperate rush to fork out on a new saddle.

I have had no mechanical issues so far in 3 or so months of riding but I would recommend a chain-stay protector.

I have changed the tyres from the X kings to Mountain Kings as I found the X kings to be OK for 70% of the time but let me down when the going got slippery or on loose stones.

About the only other thing is the standard Shimano SPD pedals which I swapped out for my old and trusty 520's although I think you get these on the 30 as standard.

Hope this all helps!
    Cheers
    Neutrality
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I have a High Latitude 2x10, similar experience to Neutrality above. The HL has the same geometry as the Mantle but may be a bit heavier. I’m 5’ 9.5” and went for the medium. The original Conti X King tyres are the lowest quality and need changing. But that’s the same on most bikes. Other kit quality is good Shimano mid-range stuff.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • dgti
    dgti Posts: 21
    Hi there, I've just brought a 30 and it's a really nice bike it's taking a bit getting use to coming from a 26 but it's fast. Had a few issue's out of the box but only minor adjustments all done now. I paid £895 so I am happy with that over a same price bike for the money.

P.S it's a very forward riding position with wide bars I'am 5,6" and that is taking some getting use to, not bad but very different from my old bike.

Cheers Dean

pp.s did I mention it's fast.... lol
  • orangepeel
    Neutrality wrote:
    Hi Orangepeel

I currently own a Mantle 20 and it's a great bike IMHO. I rode several 29'ers on a demo day and the Mantle 20 felt planted and good to ride from the off.
    I would advise you to get a demo ride and check it out to make sure it works for you!

The quality of the bike is really good and the spec is good for the price ( I couldn't afford the 30). Gotta say the frame is fantastic and I have had several admiring comments, both from guys in my MTB club and strangers I've met and chatted to on the trails.
    I have managed to get a rough weight using kit at work and the 20 comes in somewhere around the 13KG mark with full lights and mudguards (crud catcher mounts on the down tube another nice touch) so not exactly and XC whippet but not a porker either.
    The Mantle 20 rides really well and goes like a train once you are rolling especially on climbs, the 29'er advantages shining through. Maybe it's not as manoeuvrable as a 26'er but once you get used to the turn in and stuff it all comes together nicely.
    The riding position for me is a comfortable one, I'm 5' 11'' and opted for a large frame. It's more of a leant forward position than an upright one but it's not a stretch. I have been on several all day rides and the only issue being the beginnings of a numb bum towards the end but not enough to feel a desperate rush to fork out on a new saddle.

I have had no mechanical issues so far in 3 or so months of riding but I would recommend a chain-stay protector.

I have changed the tyres from the X kings to Mountain Kings as I found the X kings to be OK for 70% of the time but let me down when the going got slippery or on loose stones.

About the only other thing is the standard Shimano SPD pedals which I swapped out for my old and trusty 520's although I think you get these on the 30 as standard.

Hope this all helps!
    Cheers
    Neutrality

That had really helped. Appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed reply. Looks like the only thing to change from the off is the tyres, but that's no surprise.

I'm after a well engineered bike, nothing brash and with decent forks and from a British based firm. So think I'll be going for it.

Thanks again.

O.
  • orangepeel
    dgti wrote:
    Hi there, I've just brought a 30 and it's a really nice bike it's taking a bit getting use to coming from a 26 but it's fast. Had a few issue's out of the box but only minor adjustments all done now. I paid £895 so I am happy with that over a same price bike for the money.

P.S it's a very forward riding position with wide bars I'am 5,6" and that is taking some getting use to, not bad but very different from my old bike.

Cheers Dean

pp.s did I mention it's fast.... lol

Hi Dan

I'm pretty much the same height as you. Did you go for the 16"?

Also do you have any photos of yours? I've not see the 30 in the flesh so it's hard to tell what a 16" would look like and how red it really is. Any chance you could post a couple?

Cheers pal.
  • dgti
    dgti Posts: 21
    Sorry for the late reply, Yes I went for the 16 don't go any higher :oops:

Will take it out and take a few for you no problem send me you addy.

Cheers Dean