Describe "The Cycle Show" in one word?

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
"Mega" - ???
Is everybody deliberately avoiding this elephant in the room?
The Cycle Show has been back for three weeks now. Is it just me or is it ever so slightly worse than last year?
:?
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    Average
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Trapped.

Trying to interest cyclists whilst entertaining the mass media and only hitting the target occasionally.
    I don't know how they could make it better. Interest their core viewers and lose mass viewers* or dumb down to gain viewers but lose the core viewers. We know which route Top Gear took. :wink:

*I concede that they may not have a large non-cyclist audience but don't have figures either way.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • badly_dubbed
    badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
    watched it a few times and it does nothing for me....doesnt focus on anything related to racing updates (not pro race) and some of the features are fairly garbage.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I watched it yesterday, It was much better than last year in that awful cafe with zero atmosphere, it was just about watchable this time.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Not been bothered to watch it as last year, despite the novelty, was at best meh, at worst cringingly bad
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Not really working out this 'one word' idea is it?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Television.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Callatious :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201

The "describe in one word" was just meant to be a tongue in cheek reference to the programme's trailer, doesn't need to be one word, I suspect there may be several adjectives needed.
    I want to like this programme but just can't.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I'm sure that if they thought they could get a big enough audience for a road-only programme, they'd make it, but for now I guess we have to make do with this. I watch it on catch up and ff the bits I'm not bothered about.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Crescent wrote:

The "describe in one word" was just meant to be a tongue in cheek reference to the programme's trailer, doesn't need to be one word, I suspect there may be several adjectives needed.
    I want to like this programme but just can't.

My reply was too.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Two words............................Soap blocker. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    Just wait until next year when they bring out the Star on a Reasonably Priced Bike...seeing Johnny Vegas in a full on skin suit racing around Richmond Park :?
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Just wait until next year when they bring out the Star on a Reasonably Priced Bike...seeing Johnny Vegas in a full on skin suit racing around Richmond Park :?
    Sounds like a winner to me.................Providing you're visually impaired. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    'Meh'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Far better this series. Guests have been more interesting and better items but I still think they are trying to do too much on each show. More in depth would be better. I'd like to see Simon Warren on there regularly doing a piece on one of the climbs in his book. Really glad they ditched the LMNH studio.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2013
    'Sh1t' is the obvious answer.

What they really need to do is completely remove the audience from every last bit and focus on a making a good programme, that would help... and get a presenter who's actually engaging, not just assume that cyclists will find a any program about cycling interesting, that's the problem.

Somebody needs to sit down and think 'what would be the absolute best programme we could make?' ...I can't see for one second that they've done that, it's all so monotone and bland, mind you, a lot of cyclists are monotone and bland once they are near bikes or talking cycling... you can see the sheep-like zombie-ness of it all at bike shows for example, it becomes like a trainspotting convention.

When Top Gear USED to be good they had it right, but similarly for the target audience, if f you get a load of people who are interested in cars talking about cars and give them a few brochures to chuck in and you get a bunch of mumbling sheep... you've got to counteract this zombie-ness by removing the audience entirely or counteracting them with an big injection of 'life' and a load of energy from the presenters and a good format.

It helps if you take the p1ss out of certain gear and certain people, like TG does with Caravans and plenty of Cars, people who drive in certain ways etc. There's plenty to go on, Commuters, Sportive riders, bikes people have with crap positions. TG would be all over an old bloke with a wig driving a Ferrari sat pressed against the windscreen for example. ...but all this requires really good presenters, look at that other Car programme with the hairy bloke and the woman with the husky voice, it tries and completely fails.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    mfin wrote:
    monotone and bland

Nail / head etc.

Interesting that Top Gear has been mentioned as I think it's trying too hard to not be 'Top Gear with bikes' when it could really use a bit of TGs irreverence.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    monotone and bland

Nail / head etc.

Interesting that Top Gear has been mentioned as I think it's trying too hard to not be 'Top Gear with bikes' when it could really use a bit of TGs irreverence.

That's my thoughts on it. I agree it's trying not to be Top Gear, but IMO that's exactly what it should be. A mix of reviews, news, interviews and a good amount of larking about. They should be getting the presenters making their own bikes, then being challenged to ride challenges on them. Have features where they have to buy a second hand bike for less than £100, then do a LeJog on it, that kind of thing ;)
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I agree that the 2nd series has been better (I've only seen the first 2 so far) That irritating, unwashed, blonde woman (mega! hehehehe) hasn't been on yet, but I have a feeling she'll turn up soon, more's the pity.
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    Fail
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • dynamicbrick
    dynamicbrick Posts: 460
    Lacks imagination

It is quite obviously nothing more than ITV trying to use the popularity of cycling to gain a bit of advertising revenue on what is a fairly quiet channel.

From the ones I've bothered watching, there's been no decent bike reviews, little in the way of kit reviews, no features on something interesting like the old velodromes gradually disappearing, nothing on bike lanes, etc etc. There were a few interesting moments - but they've been fleeting. The sprint challenge is their equivalent to Star In A Reasonably Priced Car = i.e. an irrelevant filler.

I'm still at a loss as to why Jonathan Edwards was reviewing cycling computers last week. Well, I say reviewing - putting a Garmin against a basic speedo against an iPhone App, with some poor commentary and cringeworthy pieces to camera. Unsurprisingly the Garmin won. With all the really serious cycling types we have in the UK, they spent seven minutes getting a retired long jumper to tell us that a Garmin is better than a £40 speedo or free iPhone app!

I'd love to see a series of shorts from Sean Yates talking about nutrition and training, or a weekly piece following a Ti frame being built at somewhere like Enigma. Maybe a weekly 5 minute slot on defensive riding with a police motorcycle instructor (same principles apply to motorbikes).

That's the frustration - the possibilities for the show are endless, even on a restricted budget.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    The joys of Sky Plus make this a much better show. A few bits I have enjoyed and some of the interviews have been pretty good but it could certainly do better. The key presenters dont seem to be comfortable working with the others, when Ron Hayles for example has done a segment on his own its been OK to good, but as soon as he has to talk to someone else its seemed to be a challenge.

The guys that have presented ITV4's TDF coverage I think would be a bettere fit as presenters, they just seem to gel a bit better.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • One word - crap
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Just me then. I quite like it, a full hour of people talking about bikes. I've only seen one this series, with the Downing boys and the old gent, and found it quite watchable. It could be better but this seemed a lot more relaxed and a lot less trying too hard than the first run last year.

I can't think of any magazine style format shows that give ME exactly what I want to see for the duration of the prog. Until they announce that road bikes are for the strange and from now on it's mountain bikes all the way, I'll catch it when I can.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Pfft

I tend to watch it on fast forward and can normally get it down to 15 minutes per programme. The trouble is that bikes and cyclists are actually quite boring, even for cyclists. Cars are also quite boring but TG adds lots of visual interest and some hilarious banter* and a has much larger budget.

Last week's TdF preview, when 2 men rode up a hill, was particularly 'meh'. I do that every training ride so I'm not massively interested at looking at some other people riding up a hill. I'm not hugely interested when I'm actually doing it. Watching a man test ride 2 bikes was just tedious. I could go to a shop and do a test ride of any bike, but I couldn't get a Ferrari and rag it on the track. TCS offers me very little I can't do myself and I'm not really interesting in other cyclists**. It's one step up from 'The Walking Show'.

*rehearsed, obviously
    **unless it's inspirational or visually appealing, with funky music, snazzy graphics and a feeling that I couldn't/wouldn't do what they're doing.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Confused.

They should add in some opf the global cycling network features. Also they should gives on further annoying car drivers other than by merely being on the road.

Also some decent in depth interviews (not sure who the presenter is, but he is bobbins).

Also a pro feature of a TT Circuit somewhere in the UK for pro's both new and old to compete against.

Bit more BMX/Street/Jump stuff wouldn't hurt as road racing and downhill/MTBing in general isn;t much fun without good commentary (which it hasn't got right now).
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    $hit ....
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    This evening show was just one very long and sub standard Giro advert. It was cringeworthy that they referenced the Giro in just about every piece.

and ... whilst in rant mode, what is it with those stupid microphones stuck to their cheeks? What on earth is wrong with lapel ones :?