Lyme Valley

ianspeare
ianspeare Posts: 110
edited September 2013 in Track
Anyone have any experience of racing/training there, particularly as a beginner? Thinking of going on a Monday but not quite sure what to expect

Comments

• johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Can't comment on the quality of the coaching as I've never received any there and nor have I raced. As I understand it you have to reach a minimum standard before being able to compete. I have ridden around several times and had coaching from the local Lyme RC coaches and there coaching is (to my mind) first rate. Have you tried contacting http://www.newcastletrack.co.uk/ for further info? Might not be the answer your're after but hopefully it's helpful
  • I currently go every Monday with my son and started on a Monday myself as an absolute beginner 3 years ago before moving on to racing at both Newcastle every week and Manchester in the ACT league over winter so feel qualified to answer.
    Quality of coaching is excellent. They run a safe and structured coaching that builds youur confidence and concentrates on skill rather than fitness at this stage. They run 2 groups generally, one for absolute beginners and typically someone would be in that for 2 or 3 weeks before progressing to the next group. Excellent value for money at £3 with another £5 for bike hire and you can take your own shoes and pedals to put on their bikes. The main thing is as well as safe and structured is the manner with which they deal with you. In other sports I have done the coaching can be an opportunity for the coach to showcase how good they are ( I have had a coach at Manchester velodrome give a 3 min talk to our group whilst doing a seated no handed trackstand) Very skillful yes, but he looked a nob and you watched him rather than listened to what he said. Very friendly atmosphere and normally have a lot of fun and banter at the same time. Cannot recommend it enough. Depending on how you get on you could possibly do 4-6 wekks before moving to a Tuesday which is more performance based and then racing on a Thursday. Any more questions fire away.
  • ianspeare
    Yeah I've contacted them. Had a few busy weeks, and there was a cople of Monday nights cancelled, but I'm planning on going tomorrow. Might see you there kitersteve?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Well, I've done a couple of weeks now, did the absolute beginners sesh last week but moved into the not quite so absolute beginners group this week. Absolutely loved it! Took my 9yo daughter this week and she loved the beginners class. She'd never ridden a drop handle bar bike before let alone fixed with toe clips but the coaches were fantastic.

We did a warm up, then a 'seeding' timed flying 200m followed by a team sprint based on the seeding times. I'm still buzzing now I enjoyed it so much.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ianspeare
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Well, I've done a couple of weeks now, did the absolute beginners sesh last week but moved into the not quite so absolute beginners group this week. Absolutely loved it! Took my 9yo daughter this week and she loved the beginners class. She'd never ridden a drop handle bar bike before let alone fixed with toe clips but the coaches were fantastic.

We did a warm up, then a 'seeding' timed flying 200m followed by a team sprint based on the seeding times. I'm still buzzing now I enjoyed it so much.

How many weeks did you take to progress from the rookie group? Whereabouts do you live?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Did 1 'über beginner' session then moved to the faster group the next week. Only done the two sessions. You are thrown in at the deep end, even my 9yo was. The coaches really are tops.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Well I went along and had loads of fun. Highly recommended. Unfortunately it was the last one of the season. Roll on next year because I can't wait to get going again and maybe start racing