backpack with spine protection

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
For dh, I'm currently using a full on armour top, but want to start using my more lightweight 661 sub top, but want some back protection. http://www.evocsports.com/en/bike/protector-backpacks/fr-lite.html
Seeing as I'd like to keep a drink, snack etc with me, thinking about getting something like the evoc pack.

Anything else worth looking at?

Comments

• I have the evoc FR and love it.
    They can be pricey and dont come with a bladdy but it really is comfortable. Took a while to adjust but I just forget its on now.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    The lite or a bigger one? Do you use it for dh too?
    Found the lite on amazon for under £80 which seems to be the cheapest so far.
  • Yeah I have the FR Lite... use it for DH quite a bit, had some crashes and seems to have done its job - stayed put very well and hasn't torn/ripped etc.

took the protector out on Sunday and did a 42km xc ride so its pretty versatile!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but can you use the protector without the back pack?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sitter
    Sitter Posts: 40
    I've used an Ortovox one (more aimed at snow sports) and found it fine for bike rides and fits snugly to my back and doesn't move around. On the look out for a replacement tho as one or two of the buckles have cracked so won't carry my snowboard too well anymore.

Was looking at an Evoc one this morning, they've got a couple on SportsPursuit at the moment, Freeride CC 16l for £64.80 or Freeride guide 30l for £89.70. Seems to imply that with them you can use just the back protector or the back pack which would swing me towards an Evoc as I'd use a stand alone back protector for park days if that is the case.