Gear slipping on new bikes.

benpollard
benpollard Posts: 5
edited July 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, completely new to the world of mountain biking and cannot wait to get started! All down to watching various youtube videos of downhill MTB...

Anyway, so today I bought my first bike, the Voodoo Hoodoo (good beginners bike? any reccomendations for upgrading it?) and was told that the gears might slip as the cable will stretch over the first few rides. Admittedly I wasn't paying attention too much as all I could do was stare at my new investment with childish glee!

This is of course what started to happen as I rode it about for an hour. Is it a case of everything will be fine in the long run so just let it happen, or should I give it a while before taking it back to have sorted out?

Thanks for any help that comes my way,

Ben

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just needs a tweak on the barrel adjuster. Read 'Read this first' below and sort things out yourself. Bikes need regular tweaks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    benpollard wrote:
    today I bought my first bike...
    any reccomendations for upgrading it
    Yeah, ride it.
    Over time maybe you'll find something you're not happy with. So replace that bit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you are looking at upgrading a new bike, you bought the wrong bike....Saddles and grips and pedals excepted, those are very much personal preferance items.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Just about figured out how to sort out the cable now, runs smoothly.

With the upgrading bit... I'm getting ahead of myself (all the excitement of entering this world I guess)...

It's just I've seen reviews of certain sections like the maxxis ardent tyres say that as a front tyre it's a bit sketchy when the conditions get wet... so was more just getting an idea as to what tyre would be reccomended in front if the back remains an ardent tyre. That sort of thing.

Thanks as always for the help. I'll let you know how my first proper ride on the bike today feels.
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    I understand about the whole upgrade thing. To me it's as much as part of the hobby as riding. I bought a 2013 rockhopper ( because it felt right ) and then on a weekly process I started with the forks, the shifters and then the mechs. All in the pursuit of knowledge on how to do it myself. My missus thought I was crazy pulling parts off a brand new bike. It now feels smoother and slicker than before and knowing I have done it myself makes it all the better.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    mali01 wrote:
    My missus thought I was crazy pulling parts off a brand new bike. It now feels smoother and slicker than before and knowing I have done it myself makes it all the better.
    You are crazy.
    You know what would make it even faster? Stop fettling with it and ride the damned thing :roll:
  • As much as my first ride today was only along paths/roads to get from work to home and then back (still a decent 9.6 miles)... things look promising for the bike I chose.

Loving how rapid it was compared to my several year old £100 bike... plus with it being a lot lighter it made ploughing through the hills of Plymouth ridiculously easy. Saddle got a bit sore after a while though, I'll give it more trials and then may do something about it.

Just got to start getting more confidence into my riding as I'm a bit nervous about leaning into corners at speed. That will come though.

Great times ahead! :D
  • YeehaaMcgee
    benpollard wrote:
    I'm a bit nervous about leaning into corners at speed.
    Just a heads up, leaning into corners at speed is generally far more successful than leaning into corners without speed.
    Just sayin'.

Generally, you'll want to be leaning the bike, but keeping your weight centred above it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    benpollard wrote:
    Saddle got a bit sore after a while though,
    As long as it was the saddle and not your 'arris!

How did it let you know?

Wearing padded liners?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.