which size front mech?

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I'm looking for a new front mech for my mate's bike. He has a 31.6 mm seatpost and so needs a 36.4 mm seatclamp. I'm assuming that he needs a mech with same size clamp? Looked around but they only seem to go up to 34.9 ? Am I missing something?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there are only 3 sizes. see the how too measure a tube in the FAQs

and yes 34.9 is the largest.

does it use a band on mech?

looked on the makers site for more info?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • crispy1980
    It's a carrera vengeance ultimate Ltd 2010. It currently has a shimano altus on there but should come with a alivio. I've taken it off and it's just a single Allen bolt as per normal clamp on?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why do you need a new front mech?
  • crispy1980
    The cage has been broken at some time and the piece is missing meaning it won't change up through the gears as three is no physical material to push the chain up
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So you'll need a 34.9mm clamp, high or low mount depending on what will fit (same as you have now is the safe bet!), sized for the largest chainring you have (42 or 44 on most MTB's, ideally not a 48 for a hybrid/tourer) and with the right cable pull (top or bottom, most aftermarket ar dual pull), I prefer Shimano as they tend to be lighter than SRAM, but functionally no real difference.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • crispy1980
    What I don't understand is why he needs a 36.1 mm sharpest clamp but a smaller clamp for the front mech, when they both attach to the sane tubing?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presumably the diameter differs. There is often a collar at the seatclamp end.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    crispy1980 wrote:
    What I don't understand is why he needs a 36.1 mm sharpest clamp ?
    Who said he needed a 36.1mm clamp? It's a 31.6mm seatpost and a 36.4mm clamp, although as it's a Merida I'd be suspicious of that, 34.9mm is much more likely.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.