Last minute training advice

Donkeywings
Donkeywings Posts: 79
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi
I have a 100km charity ride next Sunday 28th July that I'm raising money for a Hospice (relative sadly died there recently and I just want to do *something* to help them.

I started road-riding last August, and didn't ride over the winter months, so I'm really just a beginner. I've been training the last couple of weeks with 20m rides back and forth to work, with a longer ride at the weekend. Today I went out to see how far I could get - http://app.strava.com/activities/68471980 - and at 91km I came home as I really want my first ever 100km achievement to be part of the charity event. Today's ride was longer than the London to Brighton I did on the mountain bike last year (which at the time I had thought was a decent achievement).

My average is currently pretty poor at 13.3mph (this is due to hills on which I struggle badly), but I have decent enough stamina for the distance.

Anyway, I'm wondering what to do this week. With the weather as it is I can get a few 20-30 mile rides in as work commutes. I'm wondering whether getting as many miles more as possible in this week will actually help with next Sunday, or shorter rides and/or rest would be better. My long term goal is to get both distance and average speed up, but the immediate requirement is to do as well as possible in next weeks 100km.

Any advice appreciated!

cheers!
--ian
Trek Madone 3.1 Carbon 2012 Road
Sunn Kern S1 2011 MTB
"Mellow Johnny's" water bottle from Lance's shop in Austin

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm a running coach but I'm sure similar principles apply. If you have done 91 you can certainly do 100. So taper down for the event by doing shorter easier rides, give your legs time to recover, don't fret about it just enjoy. Strenuous last minute mileage is tempting but futile. If you aren't ready, a last minute binge of training isn't going to help. Don't worry about your speed, just set out at a sustainable pace and if you feel fresh at the end go for it...
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Are you in a group or on your own for the ride?

If you amongst other riders then you will be able to take shelter behind stronger riders for some sections and this will help you recover.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Thanks for the reply.
    It's a charity ride that around 1300 people did last year, but it has courses of 5,10,30 and 63 miles, so I guess fewer of us will be doing the 63 miles. I am riding myself (along with everyone else who is doing it). I'm not worried about the day itself - the time doesn't even matter, and I already did 91km yesterday, so finishing it is not even in question. My question was really about whether it was worth getting maybe 3 more decent rides in beforehand (20-30 miles) with a view to a better time on the day, or whether a rest would give a better time on the day,

Anyway - I have decided to keep going, I have found that with one full day rest, the next ride is like starting anew, so no real advantage to resting up longer than that. I will do a 20-30 mile on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, then nothing more till the ride on Sunday.
    cheers!
    Trek Madone 3.1 Carbon 2012 Road
    Sunn Kern S1 2011 MTB
    "Mellow Johnny's" water bottle from Lance's shop in Austin
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sounds good