Good route around the Roman Lakes Marple?

capoz77
capoz77 Posts: 503
edited August 2013 in Routes
20130720_202018_zps96e371f4.jpg

20130720_202042_zps5ea3aa1a.jpg

So I rode the above today, and it was far too much effort for reward, it felt like we were constantly climbing bits which would have made a good descent :( The Strava results show the entire first half of the ride as one huge climb! Prefer my trails to have a varied mix to keep me interested.

It seemed every other biker on the trails was going the other way at high speeds LOL

Anyone got a strava/map link to a similar ride in this area which makes better use of the ups and downs? Anyone tried this exact ride and have the same thoughts?

Comments

• Ey up,

Ive done this, or a variation of this a few times. There are loads of little trails round that way so you can mix it up more for the climbs and falls.

If you start from the roman lakes it can be good to head out in the opposite direction into Marple bridge, and then Brabyns park, come out the back side and then you are at the entrance to etherow country park. On a quiet day etherow has some really fun and fast trails that you can rag it round a bit. Climb out the back side of etherow and you end up pretty close to number 3 on your map.

from here you can take the down hill you have marked and turn left at "the banks" towards brook bottom. Go get yourself a pint in the fox, have a sit down. Then there is a top bit of fast down hill by the side of the fox that takes you down to the sett valley trail / Strines station. you can then follow the Sett valley trail all the way back to the roman lakes, its a very lovely easy bit of downhill and amazing scenery, i really enjoy it.

Maybe around 18k in total? maybe a smidge more with the etherow stuff but great fun.

Sorry about lack of co-ordinates.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Burnibus wrote:
    Ey up,

Ive done this, or a variation of this a few times. There are loads of little trails round that way so you can mix it up more for the climbs and falls.

If you start from the roman lakes it can be good to head out in the opposite direction into Marple bridge, and then Brabyns park, come out the back side and then you are at the entrance to etherow country park. On a quiet day etherow has some really fun and fast trails that you can rag it round a bit. Climb out the back side of etherow and you end up pretty close to number 3 on your map.

from here you can take the down hill you have marked and turn left at "the banks" towards brook bottom. Go get yourself a pint in the fox, have a sit down. Then there is a top bit of fast down hill by the side of the fox that takes you down to the sett valley trail / Strines station. you can then follow the Sett valley trail all the way back to the roman lakes, its a very lovely easy bit of downhill and amazing scenery, i really enjoy it.

Maybe around 18k in total? maybe a smidge more with the etherow stuff but great fun.

Sorry about lack of co-ordinates.

Thanks Burnibus, great first post :D

I can get to etherow easier than Roman Lakes so sound good!

Do you ever Strava your routes?