Lightweight stiff trainers for flats - not 5.10's :- D

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    prawny wrote:
    Apologies for the thread hijack but how does the sole wear on the no fears? I bought some Donnay Adidas Superstar rip offs in the spring and the sole is borked already, it looks like a shark has had a go at my feet.

Do all trainers go like this? Or are the bike specific ones better/mine particularly bad?

Mine are holding up ok so far (on Wellgo B54s), and are much stiffer than any of the Airwalks I've looked at.

DSCN1004_zps99b0f888.jpg

Tbh, for £16 you can pretty much consider them disposable anyway, as long as they last a few months. Nobody's suggesting that they're as good as £80 of Shimano or Five Ten shoes (for £16 you'd have to be a bit daft to expect them to be).
  • Just ordered a pair of the No Fears on spec, 20 quid how bad can they be? At worst it's a pair of trainers for those rare occasionswhen I have to paint something.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Teva links. Ive had a alot of pairs over the years but these are my personal faveourite. Light, grippy & stiff. Good as a trainer just as much as a cycle shoe. Highly underrated.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Ditch the V-12s, they're grippy, but small. And get some Vans skate shoes. Or, really, any proper skating shoe.
    Vans have zero grip compared to five tens.
    Tried Teva?
    Agree RE the pedals though, V12s are crap, buy a proper pedal and stop fussing about a bit of extra weight on your feet. Or ride clips like any sensible person and save yourself half the bother.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Cheers chaps, I might give them no fear ones a go until funds allow some am41s. Oddly the trainers were fine on v8s, nanos killed them. Went out on my old bike with v8s and narrow bars this morning, couldn't go back now, nearly killed myself.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ilovedirt
    prawny wrote:
    Cheers chaps, I might give them no fear ones a go until funds allow some am41s. Oddly the trainers were fine on v8s, nanos killed them. Went out on my old bike with v8s and narrow bars this morning, couldn't go back now, nearly killed myself.
    That'll happen, get some proper mtb shoes. My Five tens have lasted a good couple of years, buying cheap shitty shoes is false economy.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Given that Five Tens are super grippy I'm assuming their soles are a softer compound than most trainers. If that's the case are they likely to have any longevity with part trainer, part bike usage?
  • ilovedirt
    Why would you wear five tens as trainers?
    The soles on mine still look fine after two years of use.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    update guys, ordered two pairs of AM41's from chainreaction, 46 and 47, i'll send back whichever pair doesnt fit.

I'm UK size 11.5 and tried on some other Shimano's in decathlon (didnt have AM41's) and I was between sizes so we shall see. Think the clip type shimano's are narrower too.

Back ordered some Superstar Nano's too, the grub screw type, slightly lighter than through pins, and can be replaced easy enough with pliers.

Should be epic after my failing v12's with running Nikes! :lol:

IMHO weight does add up on the pedals and shoes, my Vans were an absolute joke, I want to get some nice cadence and speed going where I can :D
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Why would you wear five tens as trainers?
    The soles on mine still look fine after two years of use.

Why wouldn't you?

As someone who isn't into hardcore mountain biking (yet) I can't justify 60 quid for a pair of MTB shoes. I could quite easily justify 60 quid for a nice pair of trainers to be used mostly on the bike, but also if I nip into town for a coffee (or similar).

So unless they have wooden soles . . .
  • ilovedirt
    Well I guess you could, but mine are covered in mud the whole time, not exactly a fashion statement.
    And mtbing is a surefire way to ruin some nice running shoes very quickly.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Also, don't 510s have really flat soles like other riding shoes? My sombrios kill your legs walking in them...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • ilovedirt
    They do, I've worn mine all day walking around before though and they're fine.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Rich_H
    Rich_H Posts: 32
    I know you dont want 5-10s, so just sharing an opinion.

I tried at least 4 pairs of 'various' trainers (running shoes, skateboard - though not the ones listed in this thread) and I have Vault pedals on my bike. When I finally caved and bought 5-10's it was a revelation - sticky as anything. I've a second bike with V12 pedals and the 5-10s are immense on them as well.

They are heavy, nightmare heavy when wet and muddy and I wouldnt want to walk far in them (they're so filthy anyway) but for riding on flats they work fantastic for me. I would have tried the Shimanos (AM4?) but couldn't find any in stock. I'm tempted by spd's, but not brave enough yet :D

So, in summary, in my opinion, dedicated shoes are pricey, but they are bl00dy good.
    If someone enters the market with a similarly capable shoe for £40'ish, they'll make a killing.
  • capoz77
    Amazing help in this thread guys :D Review up now on my purchase!

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12935054
  • capoz77
    Morning guys,

Want to try out a pair of the No Fear trainers the AM41's are too grippy sometimes, along with superstar nanotechs its lke glue! :shock: :shock: Found myself reverting back to my Nikes as I can move feat around easier which is more comfortable on long rides

I can't find the No Fears on Sports Direct anymore, can someone post up a pic of theirs so I know what i'm looking for if I go in?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    capoz77 wrote:
    Amazing help in this thread guys :D Review up now on my purchase!

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12935054

Shame about the Star Trek styling.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Caveman_Chris
    Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
    I use some saloman walking boots with my vaults. Deep, soft tread, goretex so they're breathable and waterproof(ish) and grippy enough for when I get stuck in a bog.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • capoz77
    Couldn't find the infamous fears, apparently now discontinued :( so got some of these

http://www.sportsdirect.com/SearchResul ... dc%20blitz

Stupidly light, very grippy, very stiff sole, comfy as nike running trainers, not a mark on them after long ride @ weekend. Highly recomded for a touch under £40.

Certainly far lighter than five tens, tevas, shimano am41s etc, made a long ride a pleasure for pedaling. Easily half the weight of my old airwalks/vans too :D

t2_zpsa6dff2c3.jpg

t3_zps4abbbe47.jpg

t4_zps83d975ad.jpg

t1_zps7d6d77fb.jpg
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Are am41s suitable for people with a wide foot ?

I'm looking at ordering a pair and i cant see that anyone has mentioned this in the thread already so i thought i would ask.

Also with sizing do any of you that own them got them larger to wear sealskin socks etc in the winter ?
  • capoz77
    I'm' 46 in Nike UK trainers and 47 in Shimano AM41, they are wide and spacious too! Tried to sell them a while back but no interest, guessing 47 is rare size :lol:

Sealskin socks are no probs.
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    AM's are wide enough for my flat feet so should be fine for the feet of normal people :)

Capoz77 those shoes look great, hopefully stiff, sticky and hard wearing too. However, they look a bugger to clean and suspect they'll waterlog, and offer very little in terms of protection. Unfortunately, another £10 or so and you could've got some shimano AM's, which cover every base - well, not a shoe for the pub :)

Hopefully the weather stays dry throughout the year :)
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Unfortunately, another £10 or so and you could've got some shimano AM's, which cover every base - well, not a shoe for the pub :)

Presumably you missed the posts above where he said he bought 2 pairs of AMs to get the right size, then decided that they were too grippy and switched back to his old trainers... :D
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    capoz77 wrote:
    the AM41's are too grippy sometimes, along with superstar nanotechs its lke glue! :shock: :shock: Found myself reverting back to my Nikes as I can move feat around easier which is more comfortable on long rides

Is there such a thing as too grippy? Maximum grip is the Holy Grail of flat bike shoes. If you want to move your foot you just lift.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    what's all this nonsense about Five Tens being to heavy and/or hot??

My Line Kings are neither of these things. Sole's are wearing out though but this will be their 3rd season so I'll take that. Will be replacing them with the same I should think
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • capoz77
    AM's are wide enough for my flat feet so should be fine for the feet of normal people :)

Capoz77 those shoes look great, hopefully stiff, sticky and hard wearing too. However, they look a bugger to clean and suspect they'll waterlog, and offer very little in terms of protection. Unfortunately, another £10 or so and you could've got some shimano AM's, which cover every base - well, not a shoe for the pub :)

I usually wear Nike running trainers with perforations all over for muck ingress etc and they are always ok, stick on a pair of merino wool sealskins if its wet out, the DC's are more "sealed" than my Nikes so will be great. In the proper depths of winter I may revert to AM41s.
  • capoz77
    Horton wrote:
    Unfortunately, another £10 or so and you could've got some shimano AM's, which cover every base - well, not a shoe for the pub :)

Presumably you missed the posts above where he said he bought 2 pairs of AMs to get the right size, then decided that they were too grippy and switched back to his old trainers... :D

This :D:lol::lol::lol:

capoz77 wrote:
    the AM41's are too grippy sometimes, along with superstar nanotechs its lke glue! :shock: :shock: Found myself reverting back to my Nikes as I can move feat around easier which is more comfortable on long rides

Is there such a thing as too grippy? Maximum grip is the Holy Grail of flat bike shoes. If you want to move your foot you just lift.

My feet move about a lot when riding, re position on the fly and keeps my knees comfortable. The AM41s were that sticky on nanotechs it was an actual effort to lift them off and re-position, gave me some knee pain as feet were so stuck on a fixed fulcrum. I'll change position for climbing, descending, techy bits, putting the power down without thinking about it, so the DC's are just the right level of grip VS maneuverability.

what's all this nonsense about Five Tens being to heavy and/or hot??

My Line Kings are neither of these things. Sole's are wearing out though but this will be their 3rd season so I'll take that. Will be replacing them with the same I should think

5/10's are silly heavy versus the DC's and definetely something I notice on the longer all day epics into the hills. Reason i've stuck with Nike running trainers for so many years, super lightweight. So many flat bike trainers are ruined by cleats which arn't needed, or by airwalk/vans weight.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've just weighed a DC Course and a Five Ten Line King - they're pretty much the same weight (and the Five Tens are high tops!)

Guess it depends where you're riding but a lightweight running shoe wouldn't work where I am - plenty hiking, rocks and even snow to get through but like I say, Five Tens being heavier than a normal skate shoe is a myth
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • capoz77
    I've just weighed a DC Course and a Five Ten Line King - they're pretty much the same weight (and the Five Tens are high tops!)

Guess it depends where you're riding but a lightweight running shoe wouldn't work where I am - plenty hiking, rocks and even snow to get through but like I say, Five Tens being heavier than a normal skate shoe is a myth

how many grams?

these are the lightweight DC's with "lighweight unisole" ? :lol:
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639

thanks for that i have ordered a pair in 46, i'm guessing they are similar to skate shoes so arent going to be a tighter fit like spd shoes.

I'm after wearing them for my rides into to work as well, its not far so no need to mess about with spd pedals and shoes.

I'm surprised they are only high tops around the inside of the ankle and why not the outside part.

when its dry i'm going to wear my other footwear so i dont wear them out too quick.