New cassette choice

Evil bug
Evil bug Posts: 5
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi

I have a question that's probably simple to people in the know

I am looking for a new rear cassette for my ride but my local bike shop seems to know less than I do. Current set up is

Bike : Trek 1200
Front: Bontrager 54/39
Dérailleur: Shimano 105
Rear cassette: 9 speed 12/26

I am looking for easier climbing gears but unsure if they are standard fittings or certain cassettes fit certain wheels. Have found the following but unsure if they would fit

SRAM PG970 9 Speed MTB Cassette 11/32 or 11/34

Or

Shimano Tiagra HG50 9 Speed Road Cassette 11/30

Regards

Bug

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    The limiting factor will be the rear derailleur, what size do you have at the mo - if you have a short one then you may face problems with a 30 and definitely with a 34 which are generally (for the 34 that is) accomodated with a mtb derailleur which tend to be longer
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Evil bug
    I have the bike in front of me and it says RD 5501
  • Cleat Eastwood
    I was looking at my 5501 that i'm about to stick on my winter bike. The 5501 comes in 2 flavours a short cage (SS) and a medium/long cage (GS) - theoretically the limit should be a cassette with 27 teeth (which is what i've used mine with), but it can accomodate a 28.

I've read it can take up to a 30tooth cassette but I've never tried it- it really would be stretching it to try it with a 34t cassette though - and going from a 26 to a 32 or 34 would probably need a new longer chain.

There is also a tiagra rd (4600) - which, with your 53/39 double will go up to 32t - it is marketed as a 10 speed derialleur but will work with a 9 speed chain.
  • Evil bug
    So to switch to the SRAM PG970 9 Speed MTB Cassette 11/32, which 4600 will I need the SS (short) or GS (medium)

And fitting the SRAM will replace my current cassette with no issues ?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    The sram should be ok - I'd go fo rthe gs cage, thats the one I would have got if I dodnt spot a bargain Ultegra one, that way if you ever go triple or build a triple winter bike, as i'm doing, you'll have a rd built for purpose.
  • Evil bug
    All ordered, cheers for your help