RS Reba Race 26" Dual Air Query

TheMadHouse
TheMadHouse Posts: 40
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone, I`ve found everything I need to know, about air pressure +/-, RS pressures are a little high use 10-15% less, use 60% of your body weight, have 10psi less in - chamber so and so forth ( take a shock pump and adjust while out), about rebound, except this.

Rockshox Reba Race 100mm, Dual Air, 26" 2010? - think its that year.

I`ve never used lock out. Have no intention too.
I don`t have a remote lock out - or poploc. I know you can get a couple sorts, one has compression adjustment built into the poploc..I understand that if hooked up to the fork it would allow slight compression adjustment.
I understand about the floodgate, that this controls the amount of force required to go past the fork being locked - if it was locked and you missed judged something instead of staying locked it would unlock and save you and the fork.
My query is this;
Since i don`t use a poploc, what setting do I put the floodgate to? Or since I don`t use lockout this doesn`t make a blind bit of difference.
In effect if you don`t use a remote lockout that top side of the fork - as in picture - is redundant and to leave well alone?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It wants to be twisted the way NOT shown with the padlock, which amazingly would lock it if you turned it that way, I know it's subtle, but it's there.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Makes absolutely no difference where it is if the compresion damping is set fully open.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Makes absolutely no difference where it is if the compresion damping is set fully open.

So basically unless I fit remote lock out, that top side of the fork is redundant (as seen in picture)?
  • supersonic
    Or you can modify the damper to adjust from the crown - see the workshop FAQ.

You don't have to fit a poploc should you wish to have a remote - old friction thumbshifters work, and allow fine adjustment.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Or you can modify the damper to adjust from the crown - see the workshop FAQ.

You don't have to fit a poploc should you wish to have a remote - old friction thumbshifters work, and allow fine adjustment.

I`m looking and its not leaping out at me that FAQ.
    I`m not bothered about lockout. So will leave that side of fork alone. Unless some one says its worth while.
  • supersonic
    It's not just lockout, it is a full compression adjuster than can be precisely set.
  • So lets see if I understand this;
    My fork has some form of compression damping (not sure what type, as I know some forks have high and low speed compression damping).
    The adjustment is ONLY accessible if,
    - I fit some type of remote
    or
    - I do the mod as in the FAQ
    Then when either of the above is done the floodgate adjustment is applicable.
    Currently as my fork stands, there is no point touching the top right hand side of the fork.
    My blue dial does move, as you can adjust it by hand, but it will only stay fully open as its designed to operate by remote or thumb turn when modified.
  • supersonic
    Standard poploc only allows lockout or no lockout - no inbetween. So the mod is the best bet to allow full tuning.

But yes, at the minute the whole lot is doing nothing.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Standard poploc only allows lockout or no lockout - no inbetween. So the mod is the best bet to allow full tuning.

But yes, at the minute the whole lot is doing nothing.

Right ok, this was a leftover fork at LBS, brand new uncut steerer tube etc, so I had it and therefore they gave me 1 year warranty. So reluctant to fiddle with it.
    What about "poploc adjust" as in this link. Will do same thing but in a remote?
    http://www.acycles.co.uk/rockshox-poplo ... tAodTCkAyw
  • Is this what the FAQ is about?
    Pulled from TF Tuned Shox website

Is it possible to convert my remote lock-out to manual?

Yes. Manual knob kits are available and we can fit them and remove the Motion Control compression assembly return spring during a service.
  • supersonic
    Same thing, though you do not require a new top cap.

Poploc adjust will give you compression adjustment.
  • So to sum up, until I get the above mod done either DIY or sending it to TF Tuned Shox for service and mod, or fit poploc adjuster, I`ll not be using the full range of tunability of my fork?
    But if I`m happy with how its running, its not something I have to do now? There isn`t a desperate rush to get it done.