triban 3 wheelset change query noob style

shakyjake
shakyjake Posts: 17
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi folks. As the title suggest I'm a noob when it comes to roadies and even more of a noob when it comes to wheel set upgrades.

I am thinking of buying the planet x al 130 wheels but I was wondering if there's anything I'm missing such as compatibility or dimension differences wrt cassette or gear setups. I think the current setup is shimano 2300. Can I use the wheels above on my triban 3 or should I need to be looking for a different wheel set......or simply not bother at all?

Comments

• Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    my 1st bike was a triban and i found the wheels ok. I would save your cash towards a future new/2nd hand bike.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Save your money
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Frank pole
    Frank pole Posts: 112
    Kill the wheels you have 1st - fella in work took about 500 miles before his went in the scrap bin!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Frank pole wrote:
    Kill the wheels you have 1st - fella in work took about 500 miles before his went in the scrap bin!

500 miles? Gillette wheels?
    left the forum March 2023
  • shakyjake
    shakyjake Posts: 17
    Cheers folks. That's kinda made me think a bit more about not doing it.

I also figure there's plenty to lose off my midrift for free than shaving weight off of my bike.

Thanks for the info.
  • Frank pole
    Frank pole Posts: 112
    Frank pole wrote:

500 miles? Gillette wheels?

He's a bit of a lump, 110kgs he had them trued a few times and the barings gave up in the end he's riding a set of your wheels now though ugo
  • Stick with the wheels you have until they are shot. Why spend money replacing something that aint broke? The wheels on the T3 aren't the best in the world, but they're adequate to get you going.
  • triban
    triban Posts: 149
    If you want new wheels, i say go for it!

i did, and i'm more than happy. as good as the tribans are, the wheels are just terrible. i think the bearings are greased with treacle!

here's some info on what i did http://triban5.theresnonamesleft.com/triban_btwin_Fulcrum_Wheels.html

the planet x are out os stock at the moment, but i can highly recommend the Fulcrum 5's.

you need to make sure the hub is shimano compatible and can accept your casette - i think you have a 9 speed cassette? usually you'll need to use a spacer, which should be supplied with the wheels set, to fit a 9 speed cassette on a 10/11 speed wheel. a quick email to the retailer should clear any doubt about compatability, and also give you someone to blame if it doesn't fit :wink:

if you think you'll be keeping the bike for a while, there's really no harm in treating yourself to a few upgrades.