Cliff J Posts: 15
edited July 2013 in Your road bikes
Having recently just sold this....

TREK 3700
6268463399_64da9582f6_b.jpg

and this.....

VIKING CARRARO D'AMBIEZ 915SL
8624718189_a48a80207a_b.jpg

...I used the money to buy a new bike, which I collected today from the Specialized concept store in Ruislip (Middlesex).

It's the 2014 model Allez Sport, which has only recently launched.

9322666328_6e3df4d372_b.jpg

9319872245_de2ca8c6a8_b.jpg

9322662998_f98ba5d3fc_b.jpg

9322664272_f62cacc028_b.jpg

9322662042_e36dc5fb17_b.jpg

9319866599_9dd171158f_b.jpg

9319865195_041836f790_b.jpg

9322657060_fcd2864efd_b.jpg

9322660710_9d7783e055_b.jpg

9319861067_fa48b72f10_b.jpg

9322657208_aa565aa8fc_b.jpg

I've already removed the 4 x reflectors, and the "ting ting" bell :lol:

My 1st modifications are the addition of my Shimano SPD pedals and a Specialized bottle cage.

I hope you like it 8)

Comments

• halfround
    halfround Posts: 44
    Nice bike but spoke saver needs to go .
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    Looks nice actually, how does it ride? I have a 2011 Allez and I still believe it's one of the best they've produced :)
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    naughty naughty running "big-big" rings....loose the dork guard as well !
    looks far more expensive ....althought thought the budget end Spesh bikes look pretty darn good !
  • Cliff J
    I accidently put it into "BIG BIG" rings after reading the thread about the correct way to photograph a bike :lol:
    From memory I thought that was the accepted way to shoot it, but then after I posted up I realised my fail!!! :oops: :lol:

I'll lose the rear spoke guard, I've literally just got the bike home and I'll do it the next time I see the bike in the garage 8)

As for the ride, I've only done maybe 2 miles so far just testing and checking the gears etc and that everything feels right for me as it sits, but I'll be back to report properly after my 1st ride out 8)
  • Cliff J
    Finlaz22 wrote:
    Looks nice actually, how does it ride? I have a 2011 Allez and I still believe it's one of the best they've produced :)

My cycling buddy has an Allez sport, I think maybe 2010? pictured below....

8625826502_69f264eb10_b.jpg
    Cycling in Richmond park by Cliff Judson, on Flickr

It was that bike which inspired me to buy mine, due to the mileage he does and the robustness of his Allez, I was well impressed with how it never breaks and never wants for anything.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Nice looking bike, and good photos, what camera you use?
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    Cliff J wrote:
    Finlaz22 wrote:

My cycling buddy has an Allez sport, I think maybe 2010? pictured below....

8625826502_69f264eb10_b.jpg
    Cycling in Richmond park by Cliff Judson, on Flickr

It was that bike which inspired me to buy mine, due to the mileage he does and the robustness of his Allez, I was well impressed with how it never breaks and never wants for anything.

Looks similar

z3kFL4r.jpg
  • Cliff J
    dwanes wrote:
    Nice looking bike, and good photos, what camera you use?

Thank you. I use a Canon 550d, another of my hobbies 8)
  • Cliff J
    Finlaz22 wrote:

Looks similar

z3kFL4r.jpg

I could be wrong with the year. Looking at both bikes, the markings and decals are very similar. I do like your black one, that's very smart indeed 8)
  • Cliff J
    My "spoke saver/dork guard" has now been removed.
  • Tb2121
    Tb2121 Posts: 73
    I love the Allez, my first road bike and i still think for a bike that offers a good ride, good feedback and solid build you can't go wrong. Nice bike
  • Cliff J
    Tb2121 wrote:
    I love the Allez, my first road bike and i still think for a bike that offers a good ride, good feedback and solid build you can't go wrong. Nice bike

Good post thank you.
    I made a mistake previously going for the Carraro as my 1st road bike, because I now understand that I should have read feedback and reviews and generally invested some time and effort in finding a bike, not just taken one that suited my budget and was in the colour I wanted!!!! :oops:

Admittedly it took me a fair while to get over the curved top bar of the frame, it really put me off buying one, but now I've grown to quite like it and I know this will be a great bike for me 8)
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Cliff J wrote:
    My "spoke saver/dork guard" has now been removed.

You didn't have to do that just because some nobbers on internet told you to.

Nice bike
  • Cliff J
    I had a couple of people on Facebook (friends) tell me the same, so I went and had a look and removed it, but only because I agreed it'd look better without 8)
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Cliff J wrote:
    I made a mistake previously going for the Carraro as my 1st road bike, because I now understand that I should have read feedback and reviews and generally invested some time and effort in finding a bike, not just taken one that suited my budget and was in the colour I wanted!!!! :oops:

Not sure about that. You bought a cheap bike, got cycling and decided you liked it. Whilst you were cycling you decided what you wanted and then got it. Sounds like job done for the Carrera. You've now got a winter bike or you can flog it and invest the cash on gear/upgrades.

BTW the Allez looks really good, like it :D
  • Cliff J
    Canny lad wrote:
    Cliff J wrote:

Not sure about that. You bought a cheap bike, got cycling and decided you liked it. Whilst you were cycling you decided what you wanted and then got it. Sounds like job done for the Carrera. You've now got a winter bike or you can flog it and invest the cash on gear/upgrades.

BTW the Allez looks really good, like it :D

Two issues here....

1. It was £599!!!
    2. It was a Viking Carraro, not a Carrera.

I could've bought a decent entry level Allez for less money, but I do agree that the 1st bike set me on my way to road bike riding and I built up a lot of fitness and stamina using it, but after 25 miles it started to creak and fall apart :lol:

EDITED: to say that I sold the Carraro and my MTB to fund this Allez sport, so just have the one bike now.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Mebbe I should have read the post properly :oops:

It was early for a Saturday :roll:

Lots of positive stuff on here about the Allez, should serve you well. Enjoy.
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Cliff J wrote:

Nice bike mate but your chain is too short, don't use it in that combo until you get another few links added
  • y2blade
    y2blade Posts: 31
    Very nice, I've recently bought one of these.

It is My first Rodabike after riding MTBs forever! Absolutely thrilled to bits with it.
  • ncavin
    ncavin Posts: 4
    I too have just ordered this, but in the black - picking it up tomorrow evening. It's my first road bike and today feels like Christmas Eve! Great to hear you guys are delighted with it.
  • Got the 2013 model, its been perfect for me so far and the perfect 1st road bike
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Cliff J wrote:

Nice bike mate but your chain is too short, don't use it in that combo until you get another few links added

No, you don't use it in that combo EVER.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • adowling92
    adowling92 Posts: 225
    Cliff J wrote:
    Having recently just sold this....

TREK 3700
    6268463399_64da9582f6_b.jpg

Imagine if that pedal had slipped!
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy
  • UrbanHim
    UrbanHim Posts: 1
    I'm really tempted to get one of these bikes, i'm a noob to road bikes, I currently have a Pacific IF Reach, which i've had for just over a year and cost well over £1500, it has a lot of top components but the relatively smaller wheels although offers good acceleration seems to tire me out quicker than what I would expect from a 700cc wheel size.

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=167086

I has spine surgery a few years back so needed a folder in case I cycled too far and needed to get picked up by car, taxi etc if couldnt cycle anymore. Now i'd like a bike that I dont get so warn out on, I do 4-5 miles on my Reach and it does me in, i'm worried its the 9 speed so just wondering if anyone has any comments about the 9 speed on the Allez Sport models. I know many bikes have 18+ gears, is 9 speed sufficient for incline's etc?

As an entry level rider I would not expect to spend more than the Allez on my first bike, but wondering whether i'd need more gears!? Also, I'm not gonna tinker with the bike either, i'll fix a puncture and clean it but I wont be doing any serious mods, may change pedals etc, so this bike seems perfect as is for a beginner.

Thanks